ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Issue with .m4v imported file

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick BrewerIssue with .m4v imported file
by on Oct 26, 2011 at 11:55:59 pm

Hello! When I import a recently received .m4v file into my after effects timeline the footage shows that it is only 4 frames long. It's true time is actually 4 minutes and 39 seconds. I've opened this file in Quicktime and it plays just fine.. VLC plays fine. My client nor I are willing to export/convert this file to a different format. The reason being is because it is a compilation of footage and it has already been exported a couple of times prior to coming to my doorstep. So I want to retain the quality of the footage, but also get this beast working in after effects. Any advice?

Codecs are H.264, AAC
Bit rate: 10,245
My brain: numb w/ slight headache

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Issue with .m4v imported file
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 12:13:16 am

M4V video doesn't work well in AE CS4 or prior; unless you are using AE CS5 or CS5.5, you should transcode. You can transcode to a lossless format (like Quicktime Animation at 100%, or Quicktime PNG) without incurring any generational loss.

You might also try opening the M4V video in MPEG Streamclip and using File > Save As to rewrap the movie in an MOV container. If you use Save As (not Export!) it will not re-encode the audio or video streams, and you will not incur any generational loss.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Rick BrewerRe: Issue with .m4v imported file
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 2:45:26 pm

I chose your second option and wrapped it in an mov. Works great. Thank you for the tip!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved