ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Extend length of timeline and keyframes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaunie Woods
Extend length of timeline and keyframes
on Oct 26, 2011 at 2:41:43 am

Hello there,

Once again, I have undershot my composition, and it appears I need to extend the length about 30%.

But rather than extend the comp in settings then ahve to change the many keyframes, is there a way I can extend the whole comp without exporting it and shorting the framerate in a program?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Extend length of timeline and keyframes
on Oct 26, 2011 at 6:10:51 am

I don't see how slowing the FPS will help you. A quick option is nest/precomp your timeline and apply Time Warp with the appropriate settings.

If you want to be precise and extend the duration of your comp and layers then that's actually not too difficult too. After lengthening the comp and layers. You can Time Stretch your KFs. You can do this quickly if you reveal each layer's KFs ("u" shortcut on selected layers). Then CTRL+ALT+A (which selects all visible KFs). Then ALT+drag out the last KF until it reaches the new end - all other KFs on other layers will Time Stretch accordingly.

One weird thing to note is CTRL+Alt+A literally selects visible KFs - ie KFs that your eyes can see. IOW, if you have KFs or layers not in eyeball view, then these will not be selected.

Depending on the number of layers you have in your comp, it's really fast and easy to change your duration.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Angie Taylor
on Oct 26, 2011 at 8:31:47 am

Great tips from Roland! Just be aware that you may need to tweak your keyframe interpolation if you do this as it will affect the velocity and speed between keyframes. Use the Graph Editor (and the info panel for reference) to do this.

You can also use the Free Transform feature in the Graph Editor to retime groups of selected keyframes. Sadly this doesn't work across multiple layers but works over multiple properties.

Hope this helps!

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 26, 2011 at 10:48:02 am

[Angie Taylor] "Just be aware that you may need to tweak your keyframe interpolation if you do this as it will affect the velocity and speed between keyframes."

[Angie Taylor] "You can also use the Free Transform feature in the Graph Editor to retime groups of selected keyframes. "

Great Tips Angie!

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]