ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mastering the camera

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew donaldsonMastering the camera
by on Oct 25, 2011 at 4:02:38 pm

Hey guys.

Something that I have been meaning to ask for a while is do you know of any tips or pointers on how to really master animating AE's camera?

Im not a newbie, i understand keyframing and easy easing (etc), i understand when to use linear and bezier points, etc. But i always find myself struggling to get my camera animations super smooth. And I often find myself using a workaround and avoiding the moves that i want with alternative shots.

Again, its not a RTFM question, i want to know if you guys can always master the move you want to do and what your secret is!
Any links to tutorials or similar welcome...

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Mastering the camera
by on Oct 25, 2011 at 4:51:43 pm

Check out the VideoCopilot tutorials on SureTarget. It's a free plugin they developed that moves between different targets/locations. Really handy and they have some good tuts on it's usage.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Mastering the camera
by on Oct 25, 2011 at 5:40:27 pm

Another great resource is the camera rig tutorial you can find at the link below. This (or a slightly more complex version) is what I use to animate my cameras and I am very happy with it:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Mastering the camera
by on Oct 25, 2011 at 8:04:09 pm

I like video copilot's stuff, but I recommend understanding rigging for a camera, and come up with something that works well for you....

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Mastering the camera
by on Oct 25, 2011 at 11:57:46 pm

Ben is right, there are 3 tutorials here on the Cow by Andrew Devis that can help:

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Mastering the camera
by on Oct 26, 2011 at 5:59:33 am

Sure Target is good but like others have chimed in, it's not an ideal tool to use if you're learning how to use AE's Camera.

I use different camera rigs, from complex ones to no rig at all. It all depends on the type of camera moves I want. Further, it is indeed more difficult to animate a camera than other layers. This is to be expected and you should be cognizant of this fact. Hence, it is OK to spend more time on it - IOW don't be disheartened if you're not getting it right the first few times.

I think I'm decently experienced with the Camera but there are times when I really have to tweak and finesse (that's a lot of undo's and redo's) my way about to get what I want.

Learn to use multiple viewports, it is a necessity when you need to accurately set up layers in 3D space and/or to move the camera. Use AE's Look At menu items should you get lost. Then re-orientate yourself by either moving selected layers or the camera or both.

You will also have to be really good with the Graph Tools if you want to be a good 'cameraman'. This is the part that oftentimes make your moves really work. Sometimes, all it takes is a sweet ease or a quick zip-in to get the camera move looking great.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Post removed.

andrew donaldsonRe: Mastering the camera
by on Oct 26, 2011 at 8:42:59 am

Thanks for the replies folks, heaps of good info there.

Im a bit ashamed that I didn't know anything about camera rigs, but they look well helpful.
I have checked out VC's stuff in the past and its cool, but I agree with the feeling that its good to learn how/why these things work properly (to really free your creativity, etc, etc).

Im gonna get right in about that Maltannon Camera Rig, it looks great.

And I actually cant wait to master those moves i always shyed away from!

Cheers again guys...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved