ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating a number field!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan RoeschCreating a number field!
by on Oct 24, 2011 at 1:51:58 am

I'm trying to recreate this number field in after effects and be able to animate it. I need to be able to randomly change the values of the dollar amounts and apply some random animation per number like scaling and color.

Currently the text block is in Illustrator but all together. Do I need to spit each number into its own layer in AI? even if I do that. How can I increment all the numbers together? can particle playground or the number effect work with this field?

It would also be great to be able to scale the words up and have rest of the text slide apart to accommodate the larger word.

Any help would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Creating a number field!
by on Oct 24, 2011 at 2:11:29 pm

The hard way to do it (without plugins) would be to create all of your layers that you want to animate independently in Photoshop, then import the PS file into AE as a Comp, then convert the layers to editable text. You should then be able to animate the layers using the Numbers Effect:

I'm not sure whether you can convert your imported and converted PS file to the Numbers Effect, but, at worst, you could cut an paste to achieve the result you want.

The much simpler alternative is to purchase Text Anarchy from Red Giant Software for 200 dollars. It will save you way more than its' cost in the time you'd spend without it. You can set up controlled or random animations, set parts of your animation that enlarge or reduce the size of the text, and a load of other capabilities. If you buy the full Trapcode Suite, I believe they throw it in with the purchase.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved