ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Leaving the transparency grid visible for tutorial purposes?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake HuddlestonLeaving the transparency grid visible for tutorial purposes?
by on Oct 21, 2011 at 8:23:25 pm

Hi there. I am creating a video where I am keying out a greenscreen, thus revealing the transparency grid in the layer where the green used to be. I am using this video for tutorial purposes, but I am not making an actual tutorial where I do screen capture. I actually want to render out the video with the transparency grid visible in the final output, not the default black or white background used in AE. (I am actually dynamic linking the comp into Premiere Pro from After Effects, but if I need to export from AE and import into PP, then that shouldn't be a problem.) Thanks for any help!

Jake Huddleston

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Leaving the transparency grid visible for tutorial purposes?
by on Oct 21, 2011 at 8:28:01 pm

Create a grid in Photoshop or AE (two small solids in a tiny precomp with CC Repetile should do the trick) and put it behind everything.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Leaving the transparency grid visible for tutorial purposes?
by on Oct 21, 2011 at 8:30:52 pm

[Michael Szalapski] "Create a grid in Photoshop or AE (two small solids in a tiny precomp with CC Repetile should do the trick) and put it behind everything."

Bleh? A screencap should work nicely. ;-)

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Leaving the transparency grid visible for tutorial purposes?
by on Oct 21, 2011 at 8:41:39 pm

gray solid, checker board effect, done ;^)

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Leaving the transparency grid visible for tutorial purposes?
by on Oct 21, 2011 at 8:51:15 pm

There you go! Three different ways to do it. Have fun.

Maybe you could make a tutorial for how to do it, so others in your shoes can learn about it!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Leaving the transparency grid visible for tutorial purposes?
by on Oct 21, 2011 at 9:01:43 pm

[Kevin Camp] "gray solid, checker board effect, done ;^)"

Ah, not so fast buddy! Still gotta change Checkerboard's Blending Mode to Normal. :-D

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2011 at 8:29:25 pm

That grid is a just a visual guide. You'll need to create it as as image file and use it as a layer.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Jake HuddlestonRe: Leaving the transparency grid visible for tutorial purposes?
by on Oct 21, 2011 at 9:31:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I ended up just creating a grid in Illustrator and using that image as a layer in AE. It's virtually indistinguishable from the actual grid.

I have a similar question about masks. I want my viewers to see the masks I'm using as well as I play through the footage. Can these show up in a render, or must it be screen capture to see this?

Jake Huddleston

Return to posts index

by on Oct 22, 2011 at 2:46:21 am

[Jake Huddleston] "I have a similar question about masks. I want my viewers to see the masks I'm using as well as I play through the footage. Can these show up in a render, or must it be screen capture to see this?"

No you can't. I suggest that do an actual screen capture. The captured clips can be used as source material for your edits.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]