ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects constantly adding unwanted keyframes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brittnell Anderson
After Effects constantly adding unwanted keyframes
on Oct 21, 2011 at 8:02:18 pm

This problem seems to have just started happening about a week ago, is driving me crazy, and I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me track down the source of the problem.

What is happening is that now whenever I change ANY parameter, After Effects automatically creates a keyframe for it.

It's like the keyframe button is active for ALL available parameters (not just pos/rot/scale, but even ANY adjustable parameters within effects), from the moment the project opens, with no possibility to turn it off.

The biggest pain is that I keep running into situations where I'll tweak a parameter (say, "Glow Size"), then scrub later in the comp, realize I need to adjust the setting, then BAM! instant animation between the two settings (when all I wanted was a constant value for the duration).

I keep having to adjust my parameter (which drops a keyframe, no matter what), then remember to delete that key out immediately after. If I change that setting later, I have to remember to delete the newly-added key again.

Has anyone else ever run into this issue? I thought it might be that some weird preference accidentally got activated, but after digging through everything I could think of, I can't seem to find anything related.

Thanks for any assistance!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: After Effects constantly adding unwanted keyframes
on Oct 21, 2011 at 8:18:46 pm

You've advertently clicked on the Auto Keyframe Icon. It looks like the standard stopwatch icon we're accustomed to seeing for keyframeable properties. It's to the left of the Graph Editor icon.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia.

Return to posts index

Brittnell Anderson
on Oct 21, 2011 at 8:20:55 pm

Ugh... I knew it would be something simple like that!
10 years, and I've never used, or even noticed that button before.
THANK YOU!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 21, 2011 at 8:36:53 pm

That @#!%$^ thingy came on board in CS5. Weirdest addition to AE I've ever seen.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Brittnell Anderson
on Oct 21, 2011 at 8:40:39 pm

Ah, THAT explains a lot, and makes me not feel so bad.
I only switched over to CS5 within the last couple months.
I totally agree that it's a weird addition... and not really necessary?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 21, 2011 at 8:45:54 pm

A lot of people asked for it. I've seen them do it on forums and they must have done it on the feature request form too.
I don't have a use for it, but apparently some people do.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 23, 2011 at 4:41:56 am

As Michael suggested, a _lot_ of people asked for this feature. So we added it.

Personally, I hate it.

I encourage you to submit feature requests that we remove it.

I'm not kidding.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 23, 2011 at 6:38:28 am

[Todd Kopriva] "I encourage you to submit feature requests that we remove it. I'm not kidding."

I've done my part. Brittnell and others, if you need the link to the feature request form, here it is:
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 23, 2011 at 6:26:56 am

[Brittnell Anderson] "I totally agree that it's a weird addition... and not really necessary?"

3D apps typically require the artist to explicitly set all keyframes (not just the first one), so they have an auto-keyframe feature to save clicks and speed up animation. AE has always been quasi-auto-keyframe, since the artist must explicitly set the first keyframe for a property, then AE automatically sets subsequent keyframes.

I assume some artists coming from other apps requested this feature since their previous apps had it, but I'd agree that since AE already auto-keyframes after the first property has been set, this feature is pointless. Auto-keyframing solves a problem that exists in other apps, but does not exist in AE.

I can't think of any situation where it would really help you animate faster, but full auto-keyframing can very easily ruin a comp without the artist realizing until it's too late.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 23, 2011 at 7:35:35 am

The Puppet Tool provides a default keyframe. That I can live with.
However, based on historical use and precedence, it's plain dumb regardless of who or how many put in such a request to have default KFs for all properties.

Much better time should have been put to correcting that horrible shadow problem that has been around for years!

IMO
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]