ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animate person losing weight? (any program)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hannes Paulsson
Animate person losing weight? (any program)
on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:34:55 am

Hi!

I posted this in the After Effects forum, simply because this is the only forum I've ever used here.

But what I'm asking does not need to be done i AE, it could be any software.

We have gotten a question to the studio where I work; Is it possible to animate a person losing weight. Lets say I have a clip or a picture of a man weighing 100 kilos, and we would like to make an animation of that person losing lets say 20 kilos. But still be albe to look at all the steps in between, so we could see what it would look like if he lost 10 kilos, or 5.

It doesnt have to be totally realistic in terms of how that specific person would look if he lost 20 kg, but the result itself have too look photo realistic.

Is this even possible without doing the whole person in 3D? Is there any programs that could do this? Or does anyone have any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Matthew Keane
Re: Animate person losing weight? (any program)
on Oct 20, 2011 at 10:46:59 am

Hi,

Depending on how realistic you need things to be, you might be able to do this with the Liquify filter, which allows you to selectively bulge, or squeeze in your case, parts of the image, and then animate the deformation. I think there are a couple of tutorials on the Video Copilot site that demonstrate this technique, with both stills and video footage.

Matthew

Return to posts index

Hannes Paulsson
on Oct 20, 2011 at 11:25:57 am

Yeah, using the liquify effect was my first thought too, but I don't think that will look good enough. I'm acctually pretty sure this won't be possible in After Effects with the basic tools(though I'll give it a try). But I thought maybe there is some plugin or something that could help, even though I have no idea how that plugin would work.

Or perhaps there's some standalone program for this exact task?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 20, 2011 at 12:39:10 pm

The Puppet Tool may be handy here. Of course, since you didn't post any supporting image (storyboard/video example/animatic/Photoshoped sequence), no one will ever really know if anything will ever work for you.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia.

Return to posts index

Hannes Paulsson
on Oct 20, 2011 at 1:47:52 pm

I know, and that's the problem. The client came to us and asked if we would be able to do this and just expect us to give them a simple "yes" or "no".

So in other words, we can say "Yes, we can do this, if you shoot it exactly this way".

I guess what I'm asking for here is if anyone here ever have done this, in AE or in any other program?
Of course you could do this completely in 3D, but that would be extremly hard and time consuming to make photo realistic. So I thought I'd just throw the question out there.

But don't get me wrong, I'm thankfull for all ideas and suggestions!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 20, 2011 at 3:15:17 pm

Well, you've got enough suggestions to get going. With no change in clothes or rotation in the character, this should be doable, singly, within AE.

What you need to do is to let the client know the limits of what you can do, given their budget.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia.

Return to posts index

Matthew Keane
on Oct 20, 2011 at 5:11:19 pm

In that case, and if the potential project is interesting (creatively/financially) enough, I'd be tempted to make a quick mock-up in AE from a photograph and see whether it meets your - and the client's - expectations for the quality of the result.

On the other hand, if the client hasn't mentioned a deadline, I have a plan B, which involves a willing victim, a lot of junk food and about six months delay! Then just reverse the process in AE (not as easy in real life though...)

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 20, 2011 at 1:28:33 pm

You could work in Photoshop to create several different steps along the way and then morph between the images using AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]