ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mystery AE Cache?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil HewMystery AE Cache?
by on Oct 19, 2011 at 9:18:35 am

I'm a little confused... I have a fast machine:

Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHZ Quad Intel Xeon

I'm sure those specs are more than enough to run After Effects relatively smooth for most projects. Because I have a small SSD, I changed the cache settings on all my Adobe software to the 1 TB drive to conserve space on my SSD . The SSD primarily being used as my boot drive as well as the install location for all my software. The 1TB drive obviously stores all my projects, including my AE files and anything associate with it.

Recently however, I've noticed that a huge amount of data disappears when I use After Effects CS5, especially when I have a huge render batch on the go, and it's not happening to my 1TB drive, it's coming out of my SSD. AE is still caching stuff in my 1TB drive, but there is still caching occurring in my SSD. This is happening even when I have changed the location of both of AE's caches, the main Disk Cache and the Conformed Media Cache. There is obviously limited space in the SSD drive, so I'd like to avoid using it at all, seeing as all my other software uses it as scratch disk space too. This became a huge problem when a friend left a huge HD project on my SSD and AE ate away any and all scratch disk space. I found it and cleared it, but it's a problem I'd like to avoid in the future.

Any help either changing the mystery cache folder location or fixing a possible bug would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Mystery AE Cache?
by on Oct 19, 2011 at 2:35:38 pm

Your problem may not be AE caching things -- it may be your system using virtual memory during renders.

I recommend downloading Raging Menace Menu Meters [link] and keeping an eye on memory usage, paging activity, disk usage, and CPU usage while rendering.

If you see your system running low on RAM and paging activity increasing, you should increase the number of CPUs to reserve for other applications.

On the topic of memory and multiprocessing settings, you may get better performance by starting with the recommended settings [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved