ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ideas for Music Videos Effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Tanner
Ideas for Music Videos Effect?
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:40:43 am

I filmed campers singing a song for camp, which is going to be used as the audio for the music video. I have 2 months worth of footage from camp where I'm going to use the video to go with the recorded audio. I started trying out different effects, such as sepia background and masking some parts that I would like to leave in color or adding a streak of light across the video.

Does anyone have any ideas of any effects that would look good on video, but won't take too long to make? I have a lot of clips to work with and not that much time... Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Ideas for Music Videos Effect?
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:50:58 pm

Do you realize that you're asking "what food is good?" There are, literally hundreds (if not thousands) of different possibilities. What would work for your situation would depend on what your footage looks like, the feel you're going for, and your skill level.

If this is a montage video of all the fun that was had at camp, I'd say compelling footage edited well is by far the best effect. After you have that, you might consider spicing up a few of the pieces with some After Effects wizardry. Which few pieces? Ones that begin segments of the edit.

I mean, how long is this video? Will it be in sections? You know, like "Water fun" "Food time" "Hiking". If so, you might pick a unique look for each section. And by "unique look" I'm talking music choice, editing pace, and color grading, nothing overly fancy except on the opening/title shots for each section.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Oct 19, 2011 at 2:36:11 pm

Like Michael was saying, there are a lot of options, but you have to decide what you want your story to look like. I agree that a good edit is crucial. That is what will make the story work. After that you need to figure out what can enhance your story. It can be just a bit of color grading. You can add maybe a few animated elements that have something to do with the camping site/gear. Use a tent or sleeping bag, a log or a rock to create a transition between sections.
One thing I would be cautious of: do not use a ton of effects, select a few and make sure they work together visually, enhancing your story. In other words, do not use an effect just because it is cool looking.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Andrea Szabó
on Oct 21, 2011 at 2:33:14 pm

Hi John,

Lightning effects are always a good choice when it comes to editing music videos. Optical flares for example have a wide range of different effects that look really good on screen and they are easy to handle.

Easy Explain Video
Creator of great explainer videos
http://www.easyexplainvideo.com

Return to posts index

Zevie Tannenbaum
on Oct 31, 2011 at 11:16:45 am

Thanks for all the replies, I thought of an idea to have the music video in black and white and when the music hits the climax, to have the video change to color... For instance as of now, I have the video in black and white and when the camper give a high five to a counselor (half way through the video), then video changes to color...

My question is, how would I create an effect where the color seeps in? Once the video changes to color, I don't want it to be all of a sudden, I want it to be gradual... Would masking be the best thing to do and extend the mask over time?

Thanks for all the replies again,
Zevie

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 31, 2011 at 8:05:35 pm

Masking is certainly one way to reveal it. If that's the way you're comfortable with, go for it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]