ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion path bezier curve handles disappeared

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Vander Plas
Motion path bezier curve handles disappeared
on Oct 18, 2011 at 9:41:10 pm

I'm working in AE CS5 and for some odd reason today I can't see the handles on any motion path curves anymore. Masks still show the handles, but not motion paths. I've tried both 2D and 3D. I've started a new project, scoured the preferences and view options, and restarted AE and my computer; no luck. I can change the curve by using the pen tool (the one that looks like an arrow), but I can't see the handles to make adjustments after that. It's especially annoying because I need a curved 3D path and there's just no way to adjust from multiple angles. Anyone had this before? Do you know of a fix?

Return to posts index

Nate Vander Plas
Re: Motion path bezier curve handles disappeared
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:59:07 pm

Well, I should have thought of this before posting. I trashed the preferences and now if I start a new project, I have my handles back. Unfortunately I still have no handles in the project I was working on, even if I import it into a new project. Oh well, I wasn't too far along yet.

Return to posts index

Steve Blacker
on Oct 19, 2011 at 2:35:18 pm

Sounds like you may have enabled the "Rotobezier" option by mistake? There's a checkbox to the right of the comp window for the Rotobezier option when you have the mask/pen tool selected.

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

Nate Vander Plas
on Oct 19, 2011 at 2:42:40 pm

Nope, that wasn't it. Any other ideas? Would be great to know a solution if this happens again in the future.

One thing that might be the culprit- I imported a couple of different projects that were examples I did not create. My guess is one of those projects may have had screwy settings or something.

Return to posts index

Steve Blacker
on Oct 19, 2011 at 2:47:28 pm

Hmmm - not sure. The only other reason I can think of for handles to disappear is if the vertices were switched to a different mode - i.e., if you press G on your keyboard until you get the little > shaped cursor, and click on the vertex you cycle through the various options. But that's just a vague possibility. ;)

Return to posts index

Nate Vander Plas
on Oct 19, 2011 at 3:22:45 pm

You mean just clicking on the point with that tool to convert it to linear interpolation? I tried that and no luck. Thanks for you input so far though.

Return to posts index

Steve Blacker
on Oct 19, 2011 at 3:55:44 pm

Yes, but you know what? I'm an idiot (or I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning...) I just realised I misread your post and I was thinking in terms of mask paths, not motion paths.

My last ditch attempt to answer this:

Go to the "View" menu and choose "View Options". Make sure you have selected one of the points on your motion path in the comp window beforehand...

Then make sure "Motion Path Tangents" is checked.

That's about the only other thing I can think of.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Nate Vander Plas
on Oct 19, 2011 at 4:09:52 pm

That was it! Thanks so much. I must have forgotten about that little "View Options" window. It must have been whoever created those projects I imported who changed the setting. I don't know when you'd want to turn those off, but now I know how!

Return to posts index

Steve Blacker
on Oct 19, 2011 at 4:29:32 pm

No worries. I agree - I don't really know why you'd want to turn those off either, but... each to their own, I guess.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Michael Mendelsohn
on Apr 19, 2012 at 12:42:25 pm

This was frustrating me, too, but I noticed something else that may have been an issue. I'm doing spacial interpolation in the comp window and I couldn't see the bezier handles either. But that was because in the timeline window, I was viewing separate dimensions for the x and y positions. When I unchecked separate dimensions, I got the bezier handles in the comp window.

- MM

Return to posts index

Gerald Hapeman
on Dec 11, 2012 at 11:28:58 pm

After trying all above suggestions, I'm still having troubles seeing any bezier handles at all. I created a simple square position movement using Position and Z Rotation. When I click on that path that was created, I get all my points and keyframes, but no bezier handles to grab and modify any of the keyframes. Do they show when just using simple animation keyframes? How can I get them to smooth everything out...? Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Gerald Hapeman
on Dec 12, 2012 at 12:09:10 am

I posted earlier... and then of course, figured it out... and found some other wonderful toys to play with too!

For those who made need to know... I made my keyframe path to form a square (or whatever) with a simple Position and Z rotation move. At each break point(corner), or major key frame turn, I clicked on it and called up the KeyFrame Interpolation as suggested... and using Spatial Interpolation, changed that from Linear to Auto Bezier to get my handles to appear. The Gods be praised! Then... I also clicked on those keyframes and then into the Graph Editor I go... Click on the Keyframe icon to edit those keyframes and choose Rove Across Time to make it even speed and silky smooth. So now my squared, jagged movement is more circular and organic!! Just wanted to mention this as everyone here has been so incredibly helpful that I thought I could pass on some useful tips to newbs and all alike!

Return to posts index

Steve Blacker
on Dec 12, 2012 at 12:11:44 am

Yep, exactly. You won't get any bezier handles on linear keyframes.

http://www.stephenblacker.com

Return to posts index

Bill Phillips
on May 30, 2015 at 1:44:46 pm

This worked for me as well. Thank you so much! Simple fix...when you know it. But HELL when you don't! LOL!!!

Bill P

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]