ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Create a paint brush/stroke?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh PigfordCreate a paint brush/stroke?
by on Oct 18, 2011 at 5:54:56 pm

I'm wanting to create a realistic paint stroke in After Effects. Something like this image:

I don't want to just do a mask over an existing image that just reveals the stroke, but instead want something that looks as if you're actually painting on, where the front of the stroke is heavier and the tail trails off.

I've played around using Trapcode Particular but haven't gotten any good results.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Create a paint brush/stroke?
by on Oct 18, 2011 at 6:49:01 pm

I'd create a paint stroke in Photoshop and use any of your favorite write-on techniques to reveal it in AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Josh PigfordRe: Create a paint brush/stroke?
by on Oct 18, 2011 at 6:50:31 pm

Hey Michael, like I mentioned in my original post: "I don't want to just do a mask over an existing image that just reveals the stroke, but instead want something that looks as if you're actually painting on, where the front of the stroke is heavier and the tail trails off."

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Create a paint brush/stroke?
by on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:10:29 pm

But a real paint stroke is heavy at the beginning part when the stroke starts and gets lighter/more textured as it runs out of paint towards the end of the stroke. If you want to be realistic, using a somewhat organic write-on reveal is the most realistic or the most like "you're actually painting on".

So, I misunderstood you. And now I'm not sure I know what it is you want. Do you want the stroke to stay the same length and move around? Or are you wanting a stroke that starts as nothing then starts light and gets deeper over time like ink soaking into paper (which is not what your example image shows, but I'm guessing now)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]