ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Poll: cross-platform multi project renderer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher R. Green
Poll: cross-platform multi project renderer
on Oct 18, 2011 at 4:18:28 pm

Ages ago I created an AppleScript Application that let me select a bunch of aep's and render each project one-after-the-other, saving each after each render. Recently I've thought about creating a cross-platform version of this, and wanted to see how many out there would find it useful. Personally, I kind of like keeping projects separate, and not creating a giant project with past projects imported into it for this (although this often is just fine to do).
So, how many out there would like to have a multi-project renderer, with maybe a few options for post render-batch actions (like saving, quitting, running script)?

Return to posts index

Sean Mullen
Re: Poll: cross-platform multi project renderer
on Oct 18, 2011 at 4:40:26 pm

Sounds cool! Can you tie it in to email notify or send a message through Prowl?

Sean Mullen
Rampant Design Tools

Return to posts index

Christopher R. Green
on Oct 18, 2011 at 7:31:07 pm

[Sean Mullen] "Sounds cool! Can you tie it in to email notify or send a message through Prowl?"

Well, what I'd like to do, rather than something so specific, is to trigger the running of a script after a render-batch, which would open any possibility, including that sort of thing.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 18, 2011 at 9:34:31 pm

I'd be interested.

If you'd be interested in extending this to a basic render farm manager, let's get in touch -- I have some suggestions there from an in-house project I started but never finished.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Christopher R. Green
on Oct 19, 2011 at 12:13:58 am

[Walter Soyka] "an in-house project I started but never finished"

WHAT? That never happens :-)

My motivation on this is, maybe, 50% dependent on whatever feedback I get from this post. Haven't posted elsewhere, and maybe I should, to get a better sample.

A render farm manager is definitely a different animal than this, however a lot of the basic building blocks (some of which I already have working) could be utilized in that kind of thing. We'll see how the feedback goes, to start with ...

Return to posts index

Tristan Summers
on Oct 19, 2011 at 6:54:01 am

It seems useful, because the saved date would indicate the process had been done.
However I think there is now a move to using Media Encoder to render instead. Seeing as you would have to add comps to render queue, you could instead send to Media Encoder?

Now, if you could automatically switch settings not at present available in the render queue, like all the vector aliasing/interpretation etc. you might be on to something.

Or make it render in the background / link to farm rendering...

Tris

Return to posts index

Christopher R. Green
on Oct 19, 2011 at 6:53:44 pm

[Tristan Summers] "you could instead send to Media Encoder?

Now, if you could automatically switch settings not at present available in the render queue, like all the vector aliasing/interpretation etc. you might be on to something."

Is there now a way to send AE renders to Media Encoder in CS 5.5? I'm still on CS5.

The way this works is you have previously saved AE projects with items already in the render queue, ready to go. You load all the projects you want to render into this multi-renderer, and it goes through each project, rendering whatever is in the queue and saving the project. Just to clarify.

-cg

Return to posts index

Christopher R. Green
on Oct 21, 2011 at 2:12:53 pm

Ahhhhh, I see. Media Encoder supports importing of AE comps. Very cool. That's a new one on me. Thanks for the hint, Tristan. Well, this might be a possibility. I have to check on the script support of Media Encoder and if it is similar to AE it can certainly be an option ...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 21, 2011 at 3:32:34 pm

[Christopher R. Green] "Ahhhhh, I see. Media Encoder supports importing of AE comps. Very cool. That's a new one on me. Thanks for the hint, Tristan. Well, this might be a possibility. I have to check on the script support of Media Encoder and if it is similar to AE it can certainly be an option ..."

I think (but I am not sure, and someone please correct me if I am wrong) that AME does not use multiprocessing when rendering imported AE comps. A script that used AE to render multiple comps in multiple projects wouldn't be subject to this limitation.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Christopher R. Green
on Oct 21, 2011 at 8:10:51 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I think (but I am not sure, and someone please correct me if I am wrong) that AME does not use multiprocessing when rendering imported AE comps. A script that used AE to render multiple comps in multiple projects wouldn't be subject to this limitation."

That's good to know, too. Also, and unfortunately for the AME idea, there is (version 4.2, CS5) no ECMA (JavaScript) support (or any other scripting support) in AME, which I need for this to work, so this is moot, at this point. Not to mention the fact that 3 responses isn't giving me a lot of impetus. Then again, I might launch into it anyway for fun. Fun? Did I just say that?

Return to posts index

Kirk McKenzie
on Nov 13, 2011 at 7:11:20 pm

Hi,

I actually use AME to render all of our video work: I am fairly sure that it shares multiprocessor settings like ram use, render multiple frames, etc, with AE itself. So, if you have that setup in AE, it should translate to AME.

Looking at my resource monitor in windows (as I happen to be rendering right now), it appears AME just calls out to aftereffects for the actual render anyways, as I have an AME process with 37 threads but only 2% CPU use, and an afterfx process (Which I don't currently have open) at 54 threads and about 40% total CPU use (on my 6 core CPU, so each core is only 16.66%. I don't have the ram (...yet) to max all six cores, but on my previous dual core with sufficient ram, AME was happy to run the CPU at 100% while rendering.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 14, 2011 at 12:43:49 am

[Kirk McKenzie] "Looking at my resource monitor in windows (as I happen to be rendering right now), it appears AME just calls out to aftereffects for the actual render anyways, as I have an AME process with 37 threads but only 2% CPU use, and an afterfx process (Which I don't currently have open) at 54 threads and about 40% total CPU use (on my 6 core CPU, so each core is only 16.66%. I don't have the ram (...yet) to max all six cores, but on my previous dual core with sufficient ram, AME was happy to run the CPU at 100% while rendering."

AME is not using AE's multiprocessing. AE's renderer is multithreaded, but that's not the same as AE's "Render multiple frames simultaneously" feature.

If AE were multiprocessing during an AME render, you'd see multiple processes named AfterFX.exe (each with multiple threads) running. You can try it -- just launch AE, make sure multiprocessing is enabled, start a render, and watch the resource monitor.

I think you could get significantly improved performance by rendering in AE before compressing in AME.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]