ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Colour Grading

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott GaskinColour Grading
by on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:18:33 am

I am trying to understand more about colour grading and just wondered if After effects is a better tool for the job than Final cut Pro or Premiere? I have all 3 apps and would rather learn using the most recommended. Does anyone recommend a particular one to use and why?

Many thanks

Scott

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Colour Grading
by on Oct 18, 2011 at 12:48:56 pm

I for one use AE for grading. I like the variety of plugins - Color Finesse, Colorista, Magic Bullet Looks and a bunch of others can give you a quick fix or in depth control. It's also easier to combine the color correction filters (native and third party) with the masking and tracking capabilities of AE.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Scott GaskinRe: Colour Grading
by on Oct 18, 2011 at 7:52:02 pm

Thanks for the info

Scott

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Colour Grading
by on Oct 18, 2011 at 3:48:09 pm

[Scott Gaskin] "I am trying to understand more about colour grading and just wondered if After effects is a better tool for the job than Final cut Pro or Premiere? I have all 3 apps and would rather learn using the most recommended. Does anyone recommend a particular one to use and why?"

After Effects is immensely flexible and powerful, and as Ted said, it has a nice toolset for things like masking and tracking, which are very useful for grading.

However, AE is not an NLE like FCP or PrP, nor is it a dedicated grading app like Resolve (or dare I say SpeedGrade?). As such, there are a few areas where its toolset is weak (conform and re-conform, timeline navigation, still store, real-time performance, scopes).

No matter what system you learn with, the fundamentals you learn will apply on the other systems, too. Also, some of the plugins that Ted mentioned will work in all three of the host apps you mentioned. I'm a big Colorista II fan.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Oct 18, 2011 at 7:53:33 pm

Thanks Walter, seems I have a bit to learn!
Scott

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Colour Grading
by on Oct 18, 2011 at 9:36:28 pm

Scott, if you're interested in learning more about color grading, check out Alexis Van Hurkman's Encyclopedia of Color Correction [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Oct 20, 2011 at 8:13:58 pm

Thanks again dude, i'll check it out
Appreciated

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>