ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Making a Scoreboard

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nick vanderhoff
Making a Scoreboard
on Oct 15, 2011 at 7:49:02 pm

I am new to the After Effects program and I was wondering how to make a scoreboard in it, so that I can add it to a video that I can tell when to change the score for either team.

Return to posts index

Marjolein van Diejen
Re: Making a Scoreboard
on Oct 16, 2011 at 7:09:30 pm

Are you looking for something to add to a live video, or for a video of the game that is shot and then editted afterwards?

Return to posts index

nick vanderhoff
on Oct 17, 2011 at 2:04:38 am

Shot and then edited later, I need it to go backwards if that matters.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Oct 17, 2011 at 9:19:08 am

Here's a useful thread:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/931643

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

nick vanderhoff
on Oct 17, 2011 at 11:19:34 am

Sweet deal thx, I really have almost no idea though what most them are talking about, so this might be a little easier how do I incorporate a still image of a 20 sided dice and animate it so that with the changing of the score it's animated to spin to that number? I think that'd be the more intuitive way to go for the video I am using.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Oct 17, 2011 at 5:14:29 pm

If that is the case you may need to go to the adobe site and learn some basics about AE. Also videocopilot.net has a series on basic AE stuff. What you are trying to do can not be achieved with the touch of a button, so it would be as hard to understand our directions as it was with the tutorials I pointed you to.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

nick vanderhoff
on Oct 17, 2011 at 5:59:22 pm

Alright, yeah I'll for sure check that out, I mean I tried to watch the Adobe's video library over cs5.5 but when I was looking at the titles I really didn't see anything like that. I mean would it be like the puppet tool or something? Also I just Shot another film and one of the actors need to have an overlay of glowing eyes like just the shape of the eye no pupils or anything, would that be pretty easy to adjust?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 17, 2011 at 7:51:52 pm

[nick vanderhoff] "Alright, yeah I'll for sure check that out, I mean I tried to watch the Adobe's video library over cs5.5 but when I was looking at the titles I really didn't see anything like that. I mean would it be like the puppet tool or something? Also I just Shot another film and one of the actors need to have an overlay of glowing eyes like just the shape of the eye no pupils or anything, would that be pretty easy to adjust?"

You asked about playing Mozart. Ted suggested you to learn to play the piano. Now you're saying you just want to play one Mozart concerto, so you'd like to skip all the fundamentals and just learn that single piece.

You can't.

You really do have to learn your scales and arpeggios first.

I don't say this to be snide. After Effects is very broad and very deep, and spending a little time learning the fundamentals is necessary for accomplishing even relatively simple effects.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Oct 17, 2011 at 8:10:40 pm

Walter has a great point in there- learn the basics, the language of AE. When the tutorials will start making sense to you, that's when you'll know that you are on the right track. Most of the stuff you asked for is already out there - videocopilot or aetuts plus have tutorials for a lot of cool stuff, not to mention the Cow. Actually, I would start on the Cow with some basic stuff:

http://library.creativecow.net/tutorials/adobeaftereffectsbasics

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Anilio Sweet
on Apr 20, 2012 at 6:18:15 pm

Sorry to interup in someone's other thread.

But i have a questions also making a scoreboard, not the design in after effects and animating.
But does some one know's how i should deliver in what format this to the person who will use it.

What i need and making is a scoreboard for LIVE updat on screens and tv's.
Whoul dit be better to make it in flash of will after effects also do??

The reason i use Ae because i know it a little bit beter and the desings and effects are much better than flash.

pleas can i have some advice?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 20, 2012 at 6:21:40 pm

[Anilio Sweet] "What i need and making is a scoreboard for LIVE updat on screens and tv's. whoul dit be better to make it in flash of will after effects also do??"

What do you actually have to deliver? Just a background image? A background animation? A complete scoring system? What format should the deliverable be?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Anilio Sweet
on Apr 20, 2012 at 6:27:35 pm

Thank you for the quick response.

I have to make the whole scoreboard with the animation.

Well i think it has to deliverd as a FLA because of the scripting for the updates.

But i want to use Ae for making and animating the whole scoreboard becaus i am better with Ae than flash
and the effects looks better with Ae.

Then i want to export it to a XFL file for flash, but i dont know if i will loos some effects when rasterizing or perhaps not rasterizing. And i dont know if this will work

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]