ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

VFX - man passing wheat ear which then turns into brochure

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oleg SolodVFX - man passing wheat ear which then turns into brochure
by on Oct 14, 2011 at 5:25:54 am

Hi

We are going to be filming this shot and I wanted to get some ideas from the community for advice on achieving this shot ( effect).

It's going to be a man passing some wheat ears to another person or dropping on table and we want them to turn into a brochure or business cards.

Any advice on filming and vfx to achieve this? We would like to make it look reasonably good but nothing super fancy.

Ps: we don't have skills to make 3d renderings so we would like to avoid that. (we do use After Effects)

Thanx!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: VFX - man passing wheat ear which then turns into brochure
by on Oct 14, 2011 at 6:33:52 pm

It depends a lot on how you see your shot. I would suggest storyboarding the shot first, thinking about each framing and how you want to tell this story of the wheat ears transforming in brochure o business card within the bigger story your piece tells.
The easiest way would be to have the man holding the wheat ears drop them on a table. The storyboard could be something like this:
1. Medium shot of man holding wheat ears coming close to a table and starting to make the gesture of dropping them on the table.
2. Table from above, we see the man's hand enter the frame and dropping the wheat ears. As they hit the table they morph in a brochure.
3. Over the shoulder of the man who dropped the wheat, we see the other person looking at the table. He/She lifts up her head looking amazed at the first man.
4. You get the idea...

In the above situation you can shoot the empty table, the table with the hand dropping the wheat ears, and the table with the brochure in the place where the Wheat fell. You can then combine the shots and morph the wheat into the brochure.

For a simple morph in AE see this older thread where I describe how it can be done:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/998756

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Oleg SolodRe: VFX - man passing wheat ear which then turns into brochure
by on Oct 15, 2011 at 7:50:26 am

Hi Ted

Thank you very much for the reply !

I thought that for the morph to work properly we would need to have the layers shot like on a green screen so that each individual piece would be ..well on an individual layer.(not sure if that makes sense)

Or would it still work, like after the wheat falls onto the table, as long as the camera and everything is steady, then the "wheat table" morphs into "brochure table" kind of thing ?

Oleg

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: VFX - man passing wheat ear which then turns into brochure
by on Oct 17, 2011 at 9:04:12 am

I think it would be best to do a test first. Probably having the table covered with chroma material and the wheat and brochure on top- to get separate layers like you put it, will give you more options. I would think though that with no camera move you may be able to pull a difference key if you shoot the clean table, thus achieving the same result, without the need for chroma cloth.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]