ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

casting shadows of keyed video onto other surfaces in comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Atchley
casting shadows of keyed video onto other surfaces in comp
on Oct 13, 2011 at 3:26:03 pm

I want to use a light in after effects to cast shadows on a wall. This is how my 3d comp is set up.

I have a large jpeg of wallpaper which is serving as my wall, and infront of it (forward in Z-space) I have actors sitting at a table which i keyed so that it looks like the wall is behind them. even closer to the camera (forward in z-space) I have another 3d comp of chefs facing the people sitting at the table. The perspective of the camera is BEHIND the chefs, so it's looking at the backs of their heads as they are looking at the people seated at the table. I attached a jpeg.

What I want to do is to create a light behind the chefs, so that it casts really long shadows over the people seated at the table. Is there anyway to do this?

I don't know if I'm articulating this correctly...

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: casting shadows of keyed video onto other surfaces in comp
on Oct 13, 2011 at 3:53:44 pm

Why not create a light and set it to cast shadows? Is there an issue with this?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: casting shadows of keyed video onto other surfaces in comp
on Oct 13, 2011 at 7:50:03 pm

If your comp is not all 3d, meaning that the chefs and people at the table are not 3d layers and only the background is, then Michael's suggestion will not work. In this case you should use a plugin like Warp/Shadow from Red Giant.
http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/rgwarp/
You will probably have to use 2 Chefs layers with Warp/Shadow on to differentiate the shadows cast on the people at the table and those that hit the wall.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]