ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Small size but good quality of render?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Blahtor MagnusSmall size but good quality of render?
by on Oct 13, 2011 at 1:36:17 am

Hi, here is the situation:

I have a 720 HD composition that is 22 seconds long.
I want to render it to Quicktime MOV, but the catch is that I want the final rendered file to be smaller than 45 MB in size, while the quality of the video must be still above average good (sharp, no visible compression artifacts, etc.

Is this possible and if yes, what render settings should I use?

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: Small size but good quality of render?
by on Oct 13, 2011 at 1:53:26 am

Quicktime MOV isn't a codec... it's just a container.

I would assume that you mean a playback codec like h.264.

If my math is right 45mb translates to about 16mbps (16,000kpbs, your bitrate).

If you use AAC audio at 192kbps, you should get really good (not amazing) video at 14,000-15,000kbps.

Take it with a grain of salt, I did really quick napkin math on it.

- Angelo Lorenzo
- http://FilmsFor.Us Sell your film and connect with your audience

Return to posts index

Blahtor MagnusRe: Small size but good quality of render?
by on Oct 13, 2011 at 2:08:57 am

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I was just wondering which Render settings would produce best video at low size.
I will try your trick and see how it goes.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Small size but good quality of render?
by on Oct 13, 2011 at 6:05:55 am

Do not use AE to compress- instead render uncompressed from AE and compress using Adobe Media Encoder. You have plenty of options in there - h264 like it was suggested is a good one. My experience is that h264 comes out looking better if you set keyframes for every frame.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Oct 13, 2011 at 1:14:56 pm

Thanks, I will use this mthod for more important projects because it requires more time and I'm always trying to do things as fast as possible.

I just rendered my current 720 project directly from After Effects, using the settings that Angelo Lorenzo suggested.
It worked well. File was smaller than 45MB, so I may even up the bitrate to 16,000 kb/s.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Small size but good quality of render?
by on Oct 13, 2011 at 1:36:41 pm

[Blahtor Magnus] "Thanks, I will use this mthod for more important projects because it requires more time and I'm always trying to do things as fast as possible."

Creating an intermediate file makes a second step for you, but in my experience, it does not add significantly to the total processing time. When rendering directly to a compressed format, AE must first render the uncompressed frame, then compress it, so the math is the same either way. You may save a few seconds on disk access over rendering to an intermediate, but you sacrifice significant control over the encode.

[Blahtor Magnus] "I just rendered my current 720 project directly from After Effects, using the settings that Angelo Lorenzo suggested. It worked well. File was smaller than 45MB, so I may even up the bitrate to 16,000 kb/s."

Rendering directly to H.264 from the AE render queue will not allow you to use multi-pass encoding, which can significantly increase quality and/or lower file size.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Small size but good quality of render?
by on Oct 13, 2011 at 1:31:17 pm

[Tudor "Ted" Jelescu] "My experience is that h264 comes out looking better if you set keyframes for every frame."

This works if you allow a very high data rate.

If you constrain the data rate, though, it will actually lower quality. Keyframes contain complete picture data, so with a low data rate, the H.264 compressor is forced to heavily compress every single frame. With natural keyframes (or natural with forced keyframes every few seconds), you can get better quality in lower data rates, because the compressor is allowed to spend more bits on the keyframes and fewer bits on the in-between frames.

I heartily recommend the Matrox H.264 CompressHD card to anyone who does a lot of H.264 compression. It's a hardware H.264 compressor that gives great results very quickly.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Oct 14, 2011 at 1:05:12 am

Wow, thanks for all the great info, Walter Soyka.
I guess I am happy with my setup for now but I will know how to do things in the future if there's need for really super crisp and pristine video quality.

Return to posts index

Maria Khanplease please please please
by on May 9, 2013 at 6:26:30 am

dear all

i made a video and render with AE, its size was 603mb.. but i cannot upload it in vimeo. then i render it with Wmv in AE, now its size reduced but quality was very poor, these are detail of my H264 AND WMV video
these information is for h264 i want just 500mb with hd its size made 603
h264
item type MPEG-4 MOVIE
SIZE 603
video
length 01:42:22
frame width 680
frame height 510
data rage 689 kbps
total bitrate 815kbps
frame rate 30frames/second
audio
bitrate 125kbps
channels 2stereo
audio sample rate 48khz

then i render with wmv, but video quality was so bad, detail is that
video
length 01:42:23
frame width 680
frame height 510
data rate 341kbps
total bitrate 421kbps
frame rate 30frames/second
audio
bit rate 80kbps
channels 2stereo
audio sample rate 44khz
size 308

i dont want high hd video but just it should 480+610, please give me detail what should i do bitrate, in after effects or adobe media encoder

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]