ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

.r3d source to DCP workflow (color space) question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bart stevens.r3d source to DCP workflow (color space) question
by on Oct 12, 2011 at 4:23:38 pm

I currently working on a project in AE CS 5.5 that uses mostly R3D files and some DPX sequences. My final edit will exported into a DPX sequence in the digital cinema color space DCDM xyz.

I would like to do my grade/CC in AE with the native r3d files.
I have been reading about different techniques online and testing different methods but having mixed results.
I currently have my workspace set up in the Universal Camera Film Printing Density (linear) settings (float 32), and I interpret the r3d files in this profile in the color management settings. I also select "more options" in the main interpret dialog box where I select (as shot) and have RedColor2 selected as my color space. I usually bring the exposure down a stop and work from there.
This gives me a very saturated and contrasted look, and my whites are sometimes blown. I've Color corrected it with some success, but not quite getting the look I want.
When I interpret the footage as REC709, it looks very washed out and desaturated ( the opposite of the Universal Camera Printing Density)
I'm definitely a beginner working with RED footage and the complexity of color space so any recommendation on workflow would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: .r3d source to DCP workflow (color space) question
by on Oct 14, 2011 at 7:07:25 am

I am by no means an expert in color grading Red footage, but I had good results working under Rec709. Do a search on this forum for threads on this issue- if I remember well there are quite a few discussions on the issue.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

bart stevensRe: .r3d source to DCP workflow (color space) question
by on Oct 14, 2011 at 3:27:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback Ted,
I have the luxury of being able to test on a D.C server and through some trial and error, I found a successful workflow:

Project working space:
Universal Camera Film Printing Density
16 or 32(float) color depth
Linearize working space
compensate for scene-referred profiles

import dpx sequences as REC709 (if exported from non- DCDM-colorspace environment)
import dpx sequence as DCDM xyz ( if exported in that format in previous render)

import .R3d as REC709 (embedded rgb)

Export DPX sequence in the DCDM xyz gamma 2.6 5900K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved