ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Font 'Breaking' problem on scale/position in AE CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex MannFont 'Breaking' problem on scale/position in AE CS4
by on Oct 11, 2011 at 8:16:06 pm

Hi there,

I'm having a problem with a couple of fonts in AE, namely that, when I try to keyframe scale or position a comp in which the resides something weird happens and the font suddenly flashes to a set of weird characters, and flashes back to normal(just one font is pictured in good/bad states). They are both from and are regular ttfs. Does anyone know what's happening here and what might be causing it? Autotrace isn't really an option.

Thanks to anyone that can suggest anything :)

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: Font 'Breaking' problem on scale/position in AE CS4
by on Oct 11, 2011 at 11:55:29 pm

I don't know if I'd trust the quality of fonts from free sources. While commercial fonts are insanely priced, they do come with a lot more "under the hood" information than hobbyist fonts.

Since AE doesn't handle keyframing font size directly (or at least not the animation of it), have you tried nesting the text layer and then animating the size of the nested composition? That's a quick fix that shouldn't disrupt your comp as a whole.

- Angelo Lorenzo
- http://FilmsFor.Us Sell your film and connect with your audience

Return to posts index

Alex MannRe: Font 'Breaking' problem on scale/position in AE CS4
by on Oct 12, 2011 at 8:31:41 am

Hi Angelo,

Yeah totally understand what you're saying, it just becomes rather a tearful moment when you've got to pay such big bucks for a font that you're just using for a 3-word subtitle.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try this out.

Best wishes.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Font 'Breaking' problem on scale/position in AE CS4
by on Oct 12, 2011 at 8:57:00 pm

Adobe has a document on troubleshooting font problems [link] that you might find helpful.

Another option (if you don't need text-specific AE features) might be setting your type in Illustrator and importing the AI file.

Finally, most of the "free" fonts do have commercial restrictions. Double-check the license terms to make sure you're in compliance. has quite a few really well-made, low-cost specialty fonts from boutique foundries. You might find something that suits your project well.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved