ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating a straight chain made of different layers into a circular one

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie HancockAnimating a straight chain made of different layers into a circular one
by on Oct 11, 2011 at 4:21:30 pm

Hi there,

I have a metal chain created in Photoshop, made of 15 separate layers and imported into AE CS5. I have animated it to appear from the right hand side of the screen and settle in the centre. Some other animations then take place, and what I want to do now is to take the chain from being in a straight line across the screen, into one that becomes a circle, centred on screen.

I am very much a novice at expressions, so wouldn't know where to start with them! I've attached a still of the chain so it is hopefully easier to get a clear idea of what I want to do. The text will fade out, then the chain move up the screen slightly to make room for the chain animation to take place. The left link will be the leading link, and the rest obviously follow, maybe doing two of the circular animations before coming to rest as the finished circular chain. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Jamie...

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Animating a straight chain made of different layers into a circular one
by on Oct 14, 2011 at 10:51:35 am

You should post this in the COW's AE Expressions Forum.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia.

Return to posts index

Jamie HancockRe: Animating a straight chain made of different layers into a circular one
by on Oct 14, 2011 at 10:54:40 am

Thanks for that. Is Expressions the only way to do it, then?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Animating a straight chain made of different layers into a circular one
by on Oct 15, 2011 at 12:36:22 am

[Jamie Hancock] "Thanks for that. Is Expressions the only way to do it, then?"

Other than manually doing it, I see Expressions as the choice.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Oct 15, 2011 at 2:18:32 am

I see that there hasn't been a reply to your post at the Expressions Forum. With 11 layers, it should be too difficult to -
1) move the first layer into place.
2) copy its position path and paste it onto the second layer
3) offset the start and end of the path and ensure that the in-between parts do not stray too far.

It's not really a lot of work.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]