ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Realistic Organic Ink Flow Brush

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby DorranceRealistic Organic Ink Flow Brush
by on Oct 10, 2011 at 7:17:22 pm

Hello,

I got a job that is due relatively soon. We have a 3d city that we need to have an ink stroke growing though. It should look like an actual paint brush is applying the stroke to a piece of paper but you shouldn't see the brush or the hand holding the brush. It should just appear, but it should appear organically. We have the trapcode suite to use if needed.

If you look at this video, right at second 5-6 when the brush takes off, there is a very organic feel to it that looks like a real paintbrush painting on real paper.

Any tips on how to get this really natural looking ink stroke style.

I appreciate all answers.

Thank you,

Bobby D

Return to posts index

Steve BlackerRe: Realistic Organic Ink Flow Brush
by on Oct 10, 2011 at 7:47:38 pm

Looks like some stock footage of a watercolour or ink bleed. You can find such footage online, although recently I did a job with lots of similar bleeds and splashes and I got the elements from a company called Digital Juice. Can't remember off-hand which of their packs they were in, but look for watercolour and ink bleeds and you should be on the right track.

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

Bobby DorranceRe: Realistic Organic Ink Flow Brush
by on Oct 10, 2011 at 7:51:43 pm

Say we did located this stock footage and found the perfect stroke we were looking for. How would you go about using it in this way we need to? We have tried something similar and we ran into issues with making it look natural and organic.

Thank you for your post!

Return to posts index

Sean MullenRe: Realistic Organic Ink Flow Brush
by on Oct 10, 2011 at 9:01:32 pm

I recently shot a handful of ink elements on RED. They might be what you are looking for.

Sean Mullen
Rampant Design Tools

Return to posts index

Bobby DorranceRe: Realistic Organic Ink Flow Brush
by on Oct 10, 2011 at 9:04:42 pm

These things are all awesome. The only problem is we need to be able to control what direction everything is going in. We need to be able to do our own custom path and have the ink stroke grown on that path.

Return to posts index

Sean MullenRe: Realistic Organic Ink Flow Brush
by on Oct 10, 2011 at 9:08:52 pm

I would use a real ink element to drive / reveal your path and lend an organic property, while the path or brush itself is a generated design element.

Sean Mullen
Rampant Design Tools

Return to posts index

Steve BlackerRe: Realistic Organic Ink Flow Brush
by on Oct 10, 2011 at 9:09:08 pm

So you want to have that effect along the whole path of the stroke? That's a lot trickier, I think. I was thinking you just wanted that look to "kick off" the stroke, as it were. Particular might work, if you use some bleeds as particles and follow a stroke, with a little playing around you might be able to get a stroke that bleeds slightly as it goes, giving a more organic feel. Worth a shot. Otherwise, I suppose you'd have to shoot actual ink/paint stroke on the right kind of paper to get the effect you're after, but that's a little beyond the kind of work I usually do.

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Realistic Organic Ink Flow Brush
by on Oct 12, 2011 at 8:34:31 pm

If the stroke is supposed to look like it's painting on, there are several different methods to try.
One thought would be to create the stroke in Photoshop and use Particular to reveal it. The growing, birthing particles would give the edge some randomness.

You could also use some other method of writing it on and use Roughen Edges to add some organic feeling back into it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]