ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Following a road with hills that goes into the distance

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott GreenFollowing a road with hills that goes into the distance
by on Oct 10, 2011 at 9:33:03 am

Hi,

I'm struggling to find the answer to this question - can I create a road (just a solid coloured shape) that a camera can follow in 3D space but also adjust the shape of the road to have bends, hills and dips in it?

When I'm drawing the shape of the road using the pen tool and turn on the 3D layer option I can't move the points up and down to create the hills.

Does anyone know a solution?

Thank you.

I really do love good design - http://www.splurj.com

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Following a road with hills that goes into the distance
by on Oct 10, 2011 at 2:01:39 pm

Free Form - the bundled version should do it, FreeForm Pro it's even better. You can distort in 3d a shape you have created AND use a displacement map to create 3d displacement. Between the two you can get a great result.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Scott GreenRe: Following a road with hills that goes into the distance
by on Oct 11, 2011 at 12:34:37 pm

They boys at Mettle say I need 512MB of VRAM to run Freeform Pro, but I only have 256MB. Is there anything else you could suggest without buying additional hardware?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Following a road with hills that goes into the distance
by on Oct 11, 2011 at 7:18:03 pm

Free Form - the bundled version or Free Form V2 as Chris suggested should do the trick for you. As far as the lamp posts and C4d, if you make the road in C4d, I would add them in there as well. You can export a camera to AE for further work and you can also render masks for any elements that need fx added in AE (like the light bulbs of the lamp posts for example).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Scott GreenRe: Following a road with hills that goes into the distance
by on Oct 11, 2011 at 12:50:26 pm

What if I could make the road in C4D but I wanted to add AE generated 'lamp posts' (for example, they will actually be graphics, images and text) at the sides of the road?

Could I create points along the path, output the footage, and then attach my AE compositions to those points so that they scale etc. in 3D space following the path?

Does this make sense?

Return to posts index

Chris BobotisRe: Following a road with hills that goes into the distance
by on Oct 11, 2011 at 1:23:44 pm

Another option is FreeForm V2. Same features as the bundled version (Digieffects FreeForm - we did that too). BUT FreeForm V2 is 2 to 8 times faster than the bundled version(depending on your system). This sells as an upgrade for only $99.00 and the system requirements are the same as CS5.

FreeForm Pro has over double the features and sells for $299.00. FreeForm Pro also requires a GPU with a minimum of 512 mb of VRAM - preferably 1GB or higher.

HTH

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]