ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Keying Plugin Suggestions?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas SizynskiKeying Plugin Suggestions?
by on Oct 8, 2011 at 8:53:00 pm

I've been having decent results with the keylight 1.2 and spill suppressor that come with after effects, but in some of the shots, the green screen refracts light a little too much onto some of the glossy or white objects, meaning that the more I reduce the white clipping, the more green appears, and raising the levels of black/screen gain cuts into objects (like reflective spears and such).

The spill suppressor can sometimes result in a rather conspicuous outline of the object, so I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for AE keying plugins.

An Artist interested in the past, stuck in the present.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Keying Plugin Suggestions?
by on Oct 8, 2011 at 9:18:44 pm

Most times it is necessary to apply more than one key for a complex chroma shot. Keylight is a great keyer and I would look at some more tutorials and techniques before jumping to another keyer.

even this series for Nuke can give you good insight:

If you still want a different keyer, Primatte is a good one:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Daniel ChristieRe: Keying Plugin Suggestions?
by on Oct 10, 2011 at 3:16:27 am

Keylight does a fine job of keying and handles detail and translucency very well, Primatte has however saved me on a couple of occasions when I have been given particularly badly lit shots and tricky spill/reflection. I have used the two in combination on a job where I had to key a dancer with a big feather head piece and silver shoes. Keylight did a great job with the feathers, but was struggling with reflections in the shoes.

I find that Primatte isn't quite as good with hair and such. It is also a bit more fiddly to finesse the matte in Primatte. Primatte does, however, have quite a good spill suppressor in my opinion. It can suppress green spill without introducing a major magenta bias like some spill killers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved