ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Sweeping colour band?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
Sweeping colour band?
on Oct 8, 2011 at 2:43:41 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for some nice very polished effects for a wedding DVD I am producing (my first). I would like to have four small blocks, surrounded by black and with black separating them (i.e. the background, absence of a clip). The clips will all be black and white. I'm good so far.

Then, rather ambitiously, I would like to create a sweep of colour that makes its way from the bottom left to the top right. The sweep will be narrow and diffuse, turning the image to colour as it sweeps and leaving the image black and white in it's wake.

This is possible and how hard is it to do? I am a novice at After Effects but quick to learn.

Please free to throw in any ideas for other shots which might also look good.

Thanks

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
Re: Sweeping colour band?
on Oct 8, 2011 at 3:03:35 pm

I'd use a masked adjustment layer. The basic steps:

Create a solid that is a bit larger than your comp (or scale it up a bit, whatever works for you). Apply a mask that covers the edges of your new layer. Feather the edges of the mask, then reduce the mask expansion value until you have a nice, fuzzy edge to your solid (you'll have to reposition the solid to see these fuzzy edges, which is fine).

Then turn it into an adjustment layer by clicking the half-circle switch for the layer (near the motion-blur switch, the 3D switch, etc). The layer becomes invisible -- now whatever layers find themselves underneath the adjustment layer will receive whatever effects you are applying to the adjustment layer.

Apply the Tint effect to the adjustment layer. Move the adjustment layer around the screen and you'll see that whatever parts are under the adjustment layer will go black and white. (Note that they have to be under the adjustment layer, so it will need to be near the top of the pile....)

Finally, you can animate your adjustment layer to move from off-screen to on-screen, creating the color-to-bw look you were describing. Hope this helps!

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Oct 8, 2011 at 3:11:42 pm

Great thank you.

Although trying to go the other way, black and white to colour.

Also, I imagined the layer being more of a elongated overall (if that makes sense) so as it passes over the four black and white clips centred in the middle of the comp, only about 50% of any given clip will be in colour at any point.

Hope that makes sense!

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Dan Blaim
on Oct 8, 2011 at 4:20:27 pm

I assume the original footage is in color. You could assemble your shots (4 clips) in color, then pre-compose the entire composition. (Layer Menu or Command+Shift+C on a Mac) Duplicate the pre-comp.
Turn the lower pre-comp to black and white. Make a mask for the top pre-comp that is as wide as the sweep you want. Double click on the mask to select it and you can rotate it. Feather the edge of the mask, then keyframe the mask position from the lower left to upper right.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Oct 8, 2011 at 4:31:13 pm

Perfect! Thanks i'll try that now.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Dan Blaim
on Oct 8, 2011 at 4:45:51 pm

I'm not sure if AE has that capability. You could try holding down the Shift key. (This will "snap" a mask rotation at 45 degree intervals and will snap your layers/curser in the timeline. If you want precise scale/rotation/position, I would recommend entering values numerically for each.

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Oct 8, 2011 at 4:35:57 pm

Tho the bit i'm struggling with is duplicating the comp. I select the comp from the project menu, but most of the options are greyed out. Only 'New', 'Switches' and 'Add Marker' are available.

Btw, on a couple of other points, when resizing the clips, is there a way of duplicating attributes as you can in FCP?

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Dan Blaim
on Oct 8, 2011 at 4:50:50 pm

The way you can do this is by selecting all of the layers in the timeline. An example would be if you want to change the scale of multiple clips, you would select all the clips so that they are highlighted, then hit 's' key to bring up the scale attribute. Enter a numeric scale for any of the selected layers and the rest will also change. This will also work for the other attributes.

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Oct 8, 2011 at 4:52:13 pm

OK. Got as far as creating two comps. All good. One B&W on the top and colour on the bottom. Create the mask and feather. Looks just the job, but in trying to animate the mask, selecting it and dragging it doesn't have the desired effect.

I either grab the yellow outside of the mask and it reshapes the mask, rather then holding it's shape. Or I grab around the mask, and the whole comp moves.

I have a fixed shape mask that I want to animate, how best to move it without the above two things happening?

Thanks

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Oct 8, 2011 at 4:41:14 pm

Don't worry, I figured I needed to do it from the timeline. Now tinkering with what you suggested.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Oct 8, 2011 at 5:31:18 pm

Great. Thanks for all your help. I realised that if I select the timer for the position of the mask, when i then selected the mask, the whole mask moved and didn't skew.

Thanks or your help.

Could more quick things while i'm here.

1. I can get objects to resize to the same size as other objects, but copying the transform tab and pasting it to another clip, but then I have to move the clip about the screen (or it would sit perfectly on top of the other clip). It is at this point that I need to somehow ensure the clips are at exactly the same height and distance from one another (for all 4). How do I do this?

And, I would also like to play around with stylising the image a bit. Here are a couple of examples I like the look of:

Any ideas how to achieve this look?

Thanks

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Dan Blaim
on Oct 8, 2011 at 6:06:56 pm

You could try getting all 4 clips in the exact position/scale that you want and copy all of the attributes of each clip to 4 new clips that will replace them. As far as stylizing, it looks like there are a few things that can be done to accomplish this look. First try levels (effect color correction) and changing the input black and input white levels. This will help blow out the whites and also darken the blacks. You could then try curves and change the RGB drop down to Blue and punch up the blue line a bit. Maybe changing the hue to the blue side using the hue/saturation effect or even try the tint effect. Another thing that could have been used is the addition of the glow effect with a blue glow color.
Then another black layer above with an oval mask that has a feathered edge for the vignette edge. Of course there are many plug-ins that could also accomplish this look but I'm note sure which, if any, you own. It looks like a bloom effect with a blue hue adjustment. There are many ways to accomplish this look but experimentation is your best bet.

Good luck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]