ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

best codec for export?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Nguyen
best codec for export?
on Oct 8, 2011 at 5:13:14 am

I'm exporting from after effect using media encoder.I want the highest quality video as possible so my group members can edit it.I export it as uncompressed Microsoft avi. Is that good? also my group members are editing using final cut pro 7. Will final cut be able to read uncompressed Microsoft avi? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: best codec for export?
on Oct 8, 2011 at 10:40:27 am

Are you on a mac or pc? If mac, use ProRes.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Victor Nguyen
on Oct 8, 2011 at 1:53:04 pm

im on pc

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Oct 8, 2011 at 2:58:33 pm

Try Avid's DNxHD codec. It's free from their website, can deliver excellent quality, and was designed specifically for editing.

And when you export your files, if possible use Quicktime so you end up with a .mov ending. FCP was made for .mov files.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Victor Nguyen
on Oct 8, 2011 at 4:10:22 pm

yeah I use mov most the time, but can you go into the specific settings for mov in adobe media encoder? cause mov files can have different codec. I tried mpeg 4 but the quality was really bad. So now I'm trying out animation

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Oct 8, 2011 at 5:13:32 pm

AME settings have to do with the codec, not the AVI or MOV container. While animation is a great codec, it does not work for editing. Either ask your editors what they prefer to use, or just go to Avid's website, download and install the DNxHD codec, then reboot AME and you should be able to set up a preset with DNxHD. Send a link to your editors so they can download the DNxHD codec as well.

Obviously there are other options out there, but you need to make sure you have an editing codec, and not a RGB/motion-graphic codec. For hte most part, anything that says "422" will work well for editing. Most of the codecs people use for motion graphics and compositing do not work well for editing (Animation, PNG, PhotoJPEG, etc).

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Victor Nguyen
on Oct 8, 2011 at 5:32:43 pm

I cannot install any new codec because we are using the school's mac. If adobe media encoder cant do it, can rendering in after effect do it?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Oct 8, 2011 at 9:28:50 pm

AE is not really good at rendering compressed files- render uncompressed from AE use Encoder to compress.
Even if the Animation codec is not good for editing, you can work around by rendering out of AE in this format and importing in FCP.If you really need to play with the AE file and cut it, convert the Animation file from FCP to a ProRes format and cut away...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Victor Nguyen
on Oct 8, 2011 at 11:07:44 pm

yes I want it to be as uncompress as possible. so you're saying I should export via AE?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Oct 9, 2011 at 9:08:47 am

Yes, Animation uncompressed out of AE. In theory you should only work on your fx/graphics shots once the edit is done and you know exactly the length and place where they go in. That enables you to drop the shots in and render for playback, meaning that Animation .mov clips should do the trick for you. If you still need to edit the fx/gfx shots, render them from AE using Animation, bring them in FCP and export them again in ProRes 422 (HQ). This will enable you to edit.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]