ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Too dark to Motion Track

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dwight CenacToo dark to Motion Track
by on Oct 7, 2011 at 9:32:30 pm

Hi y'all,

I'm sure there's a tut somewhere for this, but I can't seem to find it.

I'm trying to track motion on some video, but the source material is too dark for the tracker to grab onto what I need to track.

I can temporarily adjust the levels on the video and see my points of interest very clearly, but After Effects - at least by default - doesn't want to track anything but the raw file. I'd like to think I'm just too dumb to figure out how to do this, rather than thinking After Effects is too dumb to think this could ever be a useful function.

So has anyone else had to do this? Is there a way to track a file while keeping any added effects applied? Any help is much appreciated.

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Too dark to Motion Track
by on Oct 7, 2011 at 10:00:54 pm

After effects can track a nested composition. So do all your levels/curves/etc and then precomp the layer, being sure to move everything into the precomp. Then motion track the precomp in the current comp.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

Sean MullenRe: Too dark to Motion Track
by on Oct 8, 2011 at 6:31:01 pm

If your comp introduces a lot of noise after adjusting the levels for the track, try adding a slight median blur. This should help, it's gotten me out of a nasty track situation more than once.

Sean Mullen
Rampant Design Tools

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved