ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE vs Compressor for Scaling?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
AE vs Compressor for Scaling?
on Oct 7, 2011 at 1:42:51 pm

So I have a :45 clip at 1080p29.97 that, for some reason, the client wants a 720x405 uncompressed SD file. My question is, I was going to use Compressor to handle this and turn on frame controls for scaling, when someone suggested AE will yield better results. Side bar, they dropped in the 1080p29.97 (originally created in AE) source into a comp at the destination size of 720x405 and added to render que. They spit out an animation codec from there.

In which program will you get better results? Compressor or AE? I was reading posts about AE is only good for rendering Animation codecs rather than other file formats.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/976672#976676

Also, in AE, why would you build a comp at the destination size and drop in the 1080 source clip and manually scale the video down versus just dropping the source on new comp to create a comp at the master size and scale the file on output using the rendering engine to handle the scaling?

Any thoughts?

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
Re: AE vs Compressor for Scaling?
on Oct 7, 2011 at 2:33:52 pm

I suggest rendering at full-quality (animation codec, e.g.) at the final output size, then use a compression-specific app to do the final step.

I have had trouble getting Compressor to scale things as nicely as AE, though there are a number of settings you can fiddle with. I've also found that if you appply a timecode-overlay filter, then change the opacity so it isn't visible... this [somehow] improves the scaling capacity of Compressor dramatically.

I have always been pleased at how AME scales footage, however.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: AE vs Compressor for Scaling?
on Oct 7, 2011 at 3:08:44 pm

As of CS5, Premiere Pro has higher-quality scaling than After Effects (and even better than Photoshop). See this page for details:
"some details about scaling in Premiere Pro CS5 and CS5.5"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: AE vs Compressor for Scaling? -- NOW: Better scaling algorithms?
on Oct 7, 2011 at 3:55:33 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "As of CS5, Premiere Pro has higher-quality scaling than After Effects (and even better than Photoshop)."

Premiere Pro uses Lanczos scaling? Nice!

Consider my feature request [link] for user-selectable scaling algorithms in AE filed.

I'd encourage anyone else interested in better native scaling in AE to join me.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: AE vs Compressor for Scaling? -- NOW: Better scaling algorithms?
on Oct 8, 2011 at 8:06:47 am

That's a good idea Walter but I think it'll be difficult to build into AE's Transform properties - more likely, it'll fit into an Effect unless more ground-up work is done.

I do however see these options on higher-end compositing apps. NICE!

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]