ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Particles How2

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stefan KolerParticles How2
by on Oct 6, 2011 at 11:56:24 am

I'm trying to recreate an effect I found on vimeo:

Its about those blue, glittering and very realistiv acting particles at the beginning. How to I create something like that? The particles are shiny and reflecting, how do I do this? And how do I create such a realistic "blowing in the wind" behaviour?

I've got AE CS4 and just bought Trapcode Particular and now I wanna learn some cool stuff! Already did some basic tutorials btw.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Particles How2
by on Oct 6, 2011 at 5:53:24 pm

You need to create a Custom Particle that has the shape and texture you need and then create some static or animated highlights on it. After animating Particular, use a Glow (best in 32bit) to apply on top- it will pick up the highlights in the moving particles and create the glitter effect.

Custom particles in Particular:

Fluid motion:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Particles How2
by on Oct 7, 2011 at 3:23:15 am

Just to add to Ted's input, the Glow effect has a Threshold parameter that allows you to finetune which parts of an image receive the glow effects. By tweaking the Threshold parameter, you can essentially glow either the entire image (not very nice looking) with a value of 0. By increasing the Threshold value, only brighter areas of the image receive the glow effect.

Therefore, what you should do is to create your custom particle such that it has varying degrees of luminance over its surface. If your particle rotates and moves, then the Glow effect will induce a sparkly result.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved