ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

"noise" in hair

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Atchley"noise" in hair
by on Oct 5, 2011 at 4:53:39 am

I am trying to become more "advanced" at compositing, and here is an issue I would like to learn how to solve:

I just pulled a key and the dark areas in th man's hair seem to have a lot of "noise" and don't seem to blend well with the background. Any suggestions on how to eliminate this and just get a nice, solid dark brown color?

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: "noise" in hair
by on Oct 5, 2011 at 5:38:23 am

As a caveat, this question is so broad and we don't have a screenshot of exactly what you're doing so take this with a grain of salt.

It's usually better to add noise into your keyed background than vice versa.

My background is in professional retouching for print. A big tip-off for recognizing fake elements is their inherent lack of grain or noise.

If you want to remove noise, there are a number of plugins that do so at different price points, I like Red Giant's Denoise

Alternately I've had no problem throwing After Effects "Add Grain" effect onto footage for a more real look.

- Angelo Lorenzo
- http://FilmsFor.Us Sell your film and connect with your audience

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: "noise" in hair
by on Oct 5, 2011 at 6:36:32 am

I agree with Angelo that a screenshot would be very helpful in this instance. In case this isn't about grain, but about a rough (or shaky) edge around the hair, then here are some thoughts:

- Do a separate key for the hair. This allows you to mess with some settings that wouldn't work as well for the rest of the body but is ideal for something where there are a lot of fine lines.

- Sometimes you need to make a key to generate the alpha matte, and then you do a second "key" to color the image (remove the green, etc). Then you combine these. This is a process I often undertake when dealing with a more detailed key and/or varied edge detail.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

Jeff BrownRe: "noise" in hair
by on Oct 5, 2011 at 7:50:34 pm

One big issue is: what is your source footage? Improving that is usually the easiest way to get a better key.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved