ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Renders failing at frame 123

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg DiGenti
Renders failing at frame 123
on Oct 5, 2011 at 2:22:53 am

I'm having a strange issue. I'm rendering a series of short AE files as Lossless .mov's for final delivery, and while the majority of them are rendering with no problem, I keep getting ones that refuse to render completely... and every one of these is failing at frame 123. And they fail when I retry as well... always at frame 123.

Strange thing is, these are all different comps from different AE files!

2x3.2Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac
14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 fB-DIMM RAM
AE CS5

I was hoping the number 123 would be helpful and maybe someone has had that same problem, because I can't seem to find anything about it in any of my Google or Cow searches.

Please help!

Thanks,
Greg

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Renders failing at frame 123
on Oct 5, 2011 at 2:52:57 am

That does sound very strange -- I wonder if there's some kind of amazing coincidence there. Can you render frame 123 by itself?

Try rendering to an image sequence with the "skip existing frames" option enabled. If the render fails for any reason, you can simply add it to the render queue and render again, and AE will pick right up where it left off.

You can use AE or QuickTime Player to open the image sequence and save a movie.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Greg DiGenti
on Oct 5, 2011 at 3:19:06 am

I can render frame 123 by itself, and image sequences don't seem to fail as readily. But the director asked for me to include sound so he can line them up when editing (I created the AE graphics with the rough cut behind them for timing). And when I bring the image sequences back into AE and try to render Losslessly with the sound, they STILL fail at the same place!

One thing I just realized is that it seems to be failing on clips that are longer than 400 frames. That's not very long, but all of these are very short segments and I haven't done a lot of lossless rendering in the past, so I haven't had to troubleshoot this issue before.

Maybe I just need a new system.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 5, 2011 at 3:25:28 am

Howzabout you compile the image sequences in PremierePro instead of AE?
Then copy+paste the audio files from AE to PP.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

Greg DiGenti
on Oct 5, 2011 at 3:45:38 am

Thanks for the input, but I'm not really looking for long workarounds, I'm trying to figure out WHY this is happening -- since obviously I should be able to render out a 500-frame comp -- so that I can fix whatever is going wrong and just render out normally.

Anyone have any non-workaround thoughts on the subject?

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Oct 5, 2011 at 3:47:13 am

Have you tried Shecret? Hold the shift key while choosing any of the preferences and in the preferences window, at the bottom, is a new option called "Secret" (Used to be called "Shecret" in earlier versions of ae). Tell AE to purge the cache every 24 frames or so. That has helped me with similar problems -- it's kind of like the render resets itself every 24 frames. (This takes a little longer, as clearing the cache requires some extra thinking time.)

Combine that with the image sequence suggestion from Walter and I've got a happy feeling for ya....

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Greg DiGenti
on Oct 5, 2011 at 3:53:57 am

I have tried the Secret rendering option, with no luck.

And again, I was hoping to figure out why this is happening so that I can fix it. I have too much to render to render everything out and figure out which ones didn't work and then have to render those out twice, plus I don't see why I should have to resort to workarounds when AE should be able to render out simple 500 frame comps with sound.

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Oct 5, 2011 at 6:39:33 am

Two more possibilities come to mind:

- you could have a corrupt file somewhere. I'd watch for this especially if you are using highly compressed codecs, like H264, AVCHD, etc. In that case, transcode these videos to ProRes, Animation, or Photo JPEG and replace the video.

- I've recently been solving strange errors with the "jiggler" app, which causes the mouse to shake every minute or so. This keeps the computer awake, and has helped prevent... something. (Okay, I'm not sure what it's helping, but I swear it helps with some of my more complex AE comps.)

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Greg DiGenti
on Oct 5, 2011 at 3:50:37 pm

@Ben:

1) I don't think it's a corrupt file, because I can render it out fine if I do it as an image sequence. Plus, like I said, these are in completely different AE files and always at 123 frames? Why 123 frames if there's a corrupt file? It seems to only be happening on comps longer than 400 frames, but I'm not absolutely positive on this, I've only just noticed this. And I'm rendering LOSSLESSLY, so compression can't be the issue. Plus, when I render as JPEG encoded mov files, it seems to work fine.

2) My computer isn't going to sleep, I have all of the energy saving preferences turned off. Plus, it's getting to frame 123 in just a few minutes and I'm sitting there watching it many times and moving the mouse around on my own.

@ Walter:

1) Do you get any error message?

Yes, something like "Output module has stopped responding. It may be damaged and you may have to restart After Effects to render again." That's not verbatim, but it didn't seem to me to be helpful, because the file isn't damaged in my opinion, because it WILL render, and it's happening across many other AE files. I think something else is at play here.

2) Can you render them losslessly without sound?

I'm not sure if I've actually tried that. I've tried rendering with all the effects turned off, all lights turned off, and neither worked. I'll try tonight with the sound off.

3) What format is the audio? Does it help if you transcode it to another format? CS5 had a bug with AIFF support -- have you run all the updates?

I'll have to check the sound format as well, I was just using default sound but set to a really low resolution since the sound isn't final. I'm fairly certain I'm up to date, I'll check that to be sure as well. That probably should have been the first thing I checked.

Thanks,
Greg

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 5, 2011 at 11:21:50 am

[Greg DiGenti] "But the director asked for me to include sound so he can line them up when editing (I created the AE graphics with the rough cut behind them for timing). And when I bring the image sequences back into AE and try to render Losslessly with the sound, they STILL fail at the same place!"

Do you get any error message?

Can you render them losslessly without sound?

Can you render the sound by itself?

What format is the audio? Does it help if you transcode it to another format? CS5 had a bug with AIFF support -- have you run all the updates?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Greg DiGenti
on Oct 5, 2011 at 3:52:39 pm

Sorry for the double post on this, but I posted it as a response to Ben's comment, so I wanted to put it in the right place:

1) Do you get any error message?

Yes, something like "Output module has stopped responding. It may be damaged and you may have to restart After Effects to render again." That's not verbatim, but it didn't seem to me to be helpful, because the file isn't damaged in my opinion, because it WILL render, and it's happening across many other AE files. I think something else is at play here.

2) Can you render them losslessly without sound?

I'm not sure if I've actually tried that. I've tried rendering with all the effects turned off, all lights turned off, and neither worked. I'll try tonight with the sound off.

3) What format is the audio? Does it help if you transcode it to another format? CS5 had a bug with AIFF support -- have you run all the updates?

I'll have to check the sound format as well, I was just using default sound but set to a really low resolution since the sound isn't final. I'm fairly certain I'm up to date, I'll check that to be sure as well. That probably should have been the first thing I checked.

Thanks,
Greg

Return to posts index

Greg DiGenti
on Oct 6, 2011 at 5:16:32 am

Thanks Walter!!!

I was up to date on my updates, so I tried rendering without sound and it worked! Now I knew the problem had something to do with my sound export settings, I just had to figure out which one was throwing the monkey wrench into this thing.

--Codec? Nope. All of them failed.
--Stereo vs mono? Nope, both failed.
-- Can you believe that changing the quality from 16kHz to 22kHz fixed it?? Yep. That was the problem.

I was trying to save a little space by lowering the quality, but for some reason rendering lossless with 16kHz sound killed any render over 400 frames at frame 123 exactly. Weird!

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Greg

Return to posts index

Sam Simon
on Dec 8, 2011 at 1:55:10 pm

I'm having the same issue using the H.264 preset. But no matter what kbs setting I use for audio it always errors out at the same point. I tried rendering out just the the video and of course that works. And rendering it using the Quicktime preset .mov h.246 codec works fine, but it's just that those are such big files. If anyone has any additional fixes for this issue please let me know.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]