ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

replacement Footage/Template Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Durwood Hibbard
replacement Footage/Template Question
on Oct 4, 2011 at 9:17:33 pm

I am working on a project that not everything has been shot yet. I have time to work on the set up now. What is the best way to set up a project so that I can have the project done, minus the footage, and then be able to drop the footage in once it is shot?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: replacement Footage/Template Question
on Oct 4, 2011 at 9:26:08 pm

You could use placeholders [link].

Alternately, you could create a comp in which you will place your final footage. You could use scratch footage or even a still.

You can use the Replace footage command to globally swap a piece of footage out for another one, or you can select a layer in the timeline to replace and Alt-drag a new item from the project panel onto your selected layer.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Oct 4, 2011 at 9:27:04 pm

It depends a lot on what you need to do- your question is very generic, be more specific, give examples so we can understand what your project is. Are you just animating graphics over footage, creating elements to complete a shot, chroma, other...?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Durwood Hibbard
on Oct 4, 2011 at 9:47:29 pm

I am planning on having multiple video clips set up as 3D layers positions so that I can move around from one to the other. Something like a carousel. Something similar to this picture.

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Oct 5, 2011 at 3:48:53 am

In that case, my suggestion is to make a composition for each [future] video clip. Put a still image in there for now as a reference. Do your animation with all the compositions nested in a new comp. At that point it's just a question of dropping your footage over the still images in your video comps. Piece of cake. Probably.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Oct 5, 2011 at 4:33:34 pm

As the others suggested you could make a precomp with a still image inside for refference and use that precomp to build your animation. You can then replace the stills with the footage. You can also just use stills and then replace them directly, but the advantage of using precomps is that you can adjust your footage inside the precomp, add effects and color grade without messing with your template.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Durwood Hibbard
on Oct 8, 2011 at 6:33:01 pm

is there an advantage to using stills vs place holders?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]