ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

magnify efect blurring problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Pattinmagnify efect blurring problem
by on Oct 3, 2011 at 10:26:48 am

Hi all.

I've made the magnifying glass thingy described in a tutorial here on CC. It's an adjustment layer with a round mask and the magnify and bulge effects applied to it, expressions are connecting the centres of the effects to the magnifying glass layer that sits above, everything works like a charm. Underneath i'm magnifying some continuously rasterized .ai's. The problem is that the magnify effect (at magnification 190) is seriously blurring the underlying artwork, which is very annoying since i want to preserve the .ai's crisp lines. I've tried tweaking all diferent settings, apparently the setting in magnify>scaling>standard/soft/scatter should do the trick (says AE help) but clearly it doesn't. Anybody has an idea? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: magnify efect blurring problem
by on Oct 3, 2011 at 12:54:17 pm

The effect probably doesn't honor the continuous rasterize setting. One option is to precomp your illustrator file, then double that nested comp's size (and scale up the illustrator file, with continuous rasterization). At that point you can scale the nested comp down to, 50% and reposition it so it matches how it looked before.

Now your magnifying-glass effect is working with a scaled-down image, and thus has more image to work with (in its mind). Now it isn't going from 100% to 190%, but from 50% to 95% or so.

Hopefully that makes sense.....

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

Benjamin PattinRe: magnify efect blurring problem
by on Oct 3, 2011 at 3:29:18 pm

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply. The thing you proposed worked, but only to a certain extent, I've made a precomp of 30.000px and scaled the .ai's way up, but still there was too much blur. I finally ended up deleting the adjustment layer, making a precomp with all the artwork on 200%, putting it behind the magnifying glass layer and masking and keyframing the whole lot. Took me way too long but didn't see any other opportunity, also there's no more bulge (bulge made the blur only worse, it seemed).

Anywho, thanks for the tip, I'm sure it'll come in hande one day.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: magnify efect blurring problem
by on Oct 4, 2011 at 2:11:33 am

Perhaps you should stay away from the Magnify effect. Bulge and Scale should do the trick.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

Benjamin PattinRe: magnify efect blurring problem
by on Oct 4, 2011 at 8:54:54 am

The extra work with scale is that, when I have a moving magnifying glass, I need to keyframe the position of the underlying artwork so that what i want to see through the glass is at the right place. I've tried it in another comp today and maybe found what was causing the blur, I guess it has something to do with 2D and 3D: yesterday i had DOF on and what not with a 2D layer (the magnifying glass) on top of all my 3D artwork, tried it now in 2D and works just fine. But anyway, did the forementioned workaround with scale, today's a new day. Next time i'll try precomping the whole lot and do the magnifying afterwards.

Thanks anyway,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved