ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

can you morph one shape into another in After Effects CS 5.5???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Natteau
can you morph one shape into another in After Effects CS 5.5???
on Sep 30, 2011 at 11:01:11 pm

I'm doing an animated map of World War II for a documentary. And I want to illustrate Germany's invasion of Russia with an animated shape. Now I know I could simply animate the shape, but that would be a little complex as the shape has many points and I would have to move each one.

If I create two shapes (1 and 2), can AE simply morph shape 1 into shape 2? Shape 1 being Nazi occupied Europe morphing into shape 2 (Nazi occupied Europe + Nazi-occupied USSR).

Can AE morph one shape into another? And if not, what other program might be able to do it?

The idea came to me after watching this animated map of the US civil war posted here on Vimeo:

http://www.vimeo.com/11449420

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: can you morph one shape into another in After Effects CS 5.5???
on Oct 1, 2011 at 2:01:19 am

yes, you can do a morph in as - do a search in the threads here using "morph" and "Tudor" and you will find a few of my posts describing how you can do it.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Nick Natteau
on Oct 1, 2011 at 2:16:53 am

Sorry I looked up your tutorial. I applied the Mesh warp but all I get is a grid. Where you can move columns and rows, and a quality setting. Can you elaborate a bit further how this works?

Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 1, 2011 at 3:16:01 am

If you add a Shape layer, then use the Pen tool to create a Bezier path, you can keyframe the path itself for a smooth morph effect.

In other words, draw out your first shape on a shape layer and add a keyframe. Move forward in time, then adjust that shape to fit your second desired shape. AE will create a smooth tween from one shape to the next.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 2, 2011 at 12:28:54 pm

Other than the good advice here, you may also want to take a look at Chris Zwar's COW Tutorial on morphing - http://library.creativecow.net/articles/zwar_chris/morph.php. I have followed Chris' recipe and had great success.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]