ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

ProRes antialiasing issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Art LeeProRes antialiasing issue
by on Sep 30, 2011 at 1:59:55 am

I am having trouble with antialiasing exporting ProRes 422 movies from After Effects. Diagonal lines are always jagged. When I export with Animation compression its fine, but when I place the Animation codec version in a ProRes sequence in Final Cut it becomes jaqgged again. All renders/Final Cut sequences are non interlaced.

See sreenshots of effected area in both codecs, 1:1 screen shots.

ProRes (bad)

Animation (good)

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: ProRes antialiasing issue
by on Sep 30, 2011 at 6:09:06 am

When you have such strong, contrasty, saturated colors running into each other, you should expect the jaggies that you're seeing with ANY 4:2:2 codec (or 4:1:1, or 4:2:0, etc). That's because of the 2's in ProRes422. While the luminance values are at full resolution, the color info (hue and saturation) is cut in half. Normally you wouldn't notice this, except when a crisp line depends almost entirely on the color info to make sense -- which is exactly what yours is doing.

The Animation codec is an RGB codec, and all RGB codecs are full resolution (you can't cut the green channel in half and expect it to look right).

For editing you could use a 4:4:4 codec and you should get the same results you're seeing with Animation.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

Art LeeRe: ProRes antialiasing issue
by on Sep 30, 2011 at 7:52:22 am

Ah, I see, that's what those 2's are for.. Thanks very much that makes perfect sense.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: ProRes antialiasing issue
by on Oct 1, 2011 at 3:32:58 am

Just to add to Ben's post, you might consider using ProRes 4444 if your work is going to FCP editorial.

Animation at 100% is lossless and well-suited for large areas of flat color (like in the reference image). QuickTime with the PNG compressor is lossless as well, but it will usually yield smaller file sizes than Animation for more textured imagery.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved