ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3D Stroke

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Juhlke3D Stroke
by on Sep 29, 2011 at 9:45:00 pm

I've imported my .ai file into AE as a comp, retaining the layer sizes. I've selected continuously rasterize on all of the illustrator objects, and converted them to 3D layers. I've created a null object, parented to the camera that I also created. I did not use any pre-comps so I could preserve the entire un-cropped canvas when moving the camera around.

Using the stroke effect, I drew a masked line with the pen tool in the individual layer's window. The layer was a vine and I traced it so I could use the stroke effect and reveal the layer by keyframing the end point from 0 to 100. The keyframing works in the layer's own window, but in the main comp window, when I follow it with the camera, it continues to grow until about 50% of the path, then starts back-tracking as the camera follows it, and the line suddenly appears completely revealed at 100%. I also tried turning depth of field off to no avail.

I'm thinking this is a camera issue. Does anyone have any suggestions on proper camera settings or a possible solution to this issue? I'm fairly new with After Effects and camera movement. I also am having a problem with copying the path from the timeline and pasting it into the null object's position settings. The path is not pasting into place. I also tried copying/pasting with 3D turned off - I still have to adjust it manually.

Return to posts index

Jesse JuhlkeRe: 3D Stroke
by on Oct 1, 2011 at 5:18:36 pm

Fixed. I pre-composed the vine layer and changed the comp size to accommodate the entire object on that layer. The stroke effect is now contained in the pre-composed layer. I hope this helps someone who is new to AE like myself.

Jesse Juhlke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved