ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

I would love to get some feedback.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan GranskogI would love to get some feedback.
by on Sep 29, 2011 at 8:39:34 pm

This is my first post here on the forums and hope you go easy on me. Well the reason I came here is that I really want to improve my motion graphic videos / other edits, I usually think they don't look that fantastic as other people's do, but I can't find the reason why.

That's why I am asking you to tell me what is bad about my videos and what I could improve. Feel free to throw everything you have at me, but be constructive, I would love to improve.

Link to my work:
One other video here:

Thanks a lot for your time,

-Jonathan Granskog

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: I would love to get some feedback.
by on Oct 1, 2011 at 3:08:59 am

Hi Jonathan,

It's probably easier to get a more detailed critique on a finished piece; most of these look more like motion tests or experiments.

I can share a couple general thoughts -- perhaps you will find them helpful.

I think that motion graphics is a combination of several disciplines: graphic design, typography, cinematography, lighting, direction, and animation. Good mograph pieces show strength in all these areas.

You might want to check out Angie Taylor's book, Design Essentials for the Motion Media Artist: A Practical Guide to Principles & Techniques. This will give you a nice foundation for some of these cross-discipline skills and help you improve your work.

I felt in each of the pieces you linked to that you were only focusing on one thing at a time; the type layouts, the sound reactor, the particle system. Your work will feel a lot more dynamic if you combine multiple techniques.

Check out the 12 basic principles of animation [link] for some suggestions on making your work more dynamic.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jonathan GranskogRe: I would love to get some feedback.
by on Oct 1, 2011 at 8:09:19 am

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest most of those videos were only testing, so you are correct, except the typographies they weren't tests.

I will be sure to read that book and I will try to take all this advice. :)

Thanks a lot for replying,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved