ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

converting 720 x 576 dv footage to 1920 x 1080 without loss in quality

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Prashant Hiraskar
converting 720 x 576 dv footage to 1920 x 1080 without loss in quality
on Sep 29, 2011 at 5:32:05 am

I have tried importing 720x576 dv footage to 1920x1080 hd footage through adobe after effects. I scaled up the dv footage to match the hd frame size. But the frame quality gets blured. I tried using different blend modes by placing the same clip on top of each other with some filters and blurs. But still I am not so satisfied with the end result.
Is there any after effects file or template or filter which is available that can be used or bought which can convert the dv footage to hd footage without loss in quality. Can someone guide me..
Thanks and look forward to hear from the fantastic creative community.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: converting 720 x 576 dv footage to 1920 x 1080 without loss in quality
on Sep 29, 2011 at 6:58:12 am

I have used Instant HD with good results:
http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/magic-bullet-instant-hd/

There are quite a few useful threads in here if you search for them:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/927791

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Prashant Hiraskar
on Sep 30, 2011 at 9:18:03 am

Thanks Ted,
I bought the red giant HD Plugin for my work. But for some reason I am not able to install on my Mac as it runs on Lion. Is there any other solution for that?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 29, 2011 at 3:26:21 pm

Ted gave you some good advice -- I've been pretty impressed with Instant HD, too -- but I want to make sure your expectations are realistic.

[Prashant Hiraskar] "I scaled up the dv footage to match the hd frame size. But the frame quality gets blured... Is there any after effects file or template or filter which is available that can be used or bought which can convert the dv footage to hd footage without loss in quality."

You're not really seeing a loss in quality. Rather, the quality you want doesn't exist in the original image.

You are trying to fill a 1920x1080 raster with a 720x576 image. There are 5 times as many pixels in HD than PAL SD, so there is quite a lot of interpolation that must be done. Instant HD and other up-res effects like it will almost always do a better job than simple scaling, but your image will never be as good as if it had been acquired in HD to begin with.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Prashant Hiraskar
on Sep 30, 2011 at 9:43:36 am

Thanks Wolter,
The reasin for me to convert the files from dv to hd is because the documentry film that I am working on has got some footages which were shot 10 to 15 years back and these footages cannot be shot again. I have bought the Red Giant HD filter but for some reason it is not installing on Mac Lion platform can someone tell me why and how to install this on Lion.
Looking forward to hear from the community soon.
Thanks..

Return to posts index

Alejandro Barragan
on Dec 13, 2011 at 6:52:06 am

Did you have luck resizing the video. I bought the Instant HD on a act of desperation. I used in Premiere no luck I could not figurative how to use it in FC 7. however I followed the workflow of the instant HD and worked without using the filter. I not sure how. but still looks pixelated. what I was expecting right? did you figure out with Lion?

Return to posts index

Prashant Hiraskar
on Dec 13, 2011 at 3:16:45 pm

I didnt try Instant HD on Premiere. I tried to use FCP on Leopard and not on Lion. And I followed the simple procedure video in Red Giant official web site, and it worked. Well I am not so very impressed with the final result but still it is better than just DV. Since the source is in smaller frame size it does look a bit pixelated.

Return to posts index

Alejandro Barragan
on Dec 13, 2011 at 3:55:15 pm

Yeah I noticed, I just wanted to make sure I was not doing something wrong and not getting the best of the quality. But I guess you only can stretch a file so much after all. Agreed I am not impressed with the results but I guess is better than have the SD file swimming in the 1920 screen. Thanks man appreciate your reply.

Alejandro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]