ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Question on tracking.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Lee
Question on tracking.
on Sep 28, 2011 at 5:02:24 pm

Hey guys, I recently made a post about motion tracking issues with Mocha for AE CS4 which remains unsolved. I got some help from Roland R. Kahlenberg but I'm still stuck with this question:

Does the footage (to be used with tracking data) have to be limited to the Surface?

I apologize in advance for sounding like a total motion tracking noob :|

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
Re: Question on tracking.
on Sep 28, 2011 at 6:05:47 pm

I'm confused by your question.... hm...

Mocha is a planar tracker. This means it can simulate how a flat plane would orient itself to match a surface somewhere. (Maybe that's what you mean by "surface".) AE's tracker is more of a point tracker that has some useful tools associated with it (like stabilization).

If you want to get a full 3D track, then you need another tracking solution. I enjoy Syntheyes, but there are other options out there, including PFHoe, PFTrack, and the Foundry has a Camera Tracker that works as a very sophisticated plugin that you can run directly within After Effects.

These 3D trackers will generate a 3D camera and some null objects that simulate the scene you just tracked. At that point, you simply drop in 3D layers and they [usually] will move as though they were "sticking" to the scene. Hope this helps!

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Ray Lee
on Sep 28, 2011 at 6:31:27 pm

Ah, I always thought I could use Mocha track planes, move into AE, apply the data to a Null, and just parent everything to it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yea, I think I'm gonna have to get a 3D tracker after all.

Thanks again! That Mocha thing has been bugging me for way too long.

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Sep 28, 2011 at 6:51:14 pm

Glad you've got that sorted out. Don't discard Mocha entirely, by the way. I absolutely love Mocha for some things (like rotoscoping, removing gunk on a wall, etc), and I prefer 3D trackers for other needs.....

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:46:40 pm

Here are some resources for getting help with mocha.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

niccolo ungaro
on Sep 29, 2011 at 2:41:46 am

I'm very surprised not to read Mr. Roland R. Kahlenberg reply to your post today...
However i will like to ad more adjective info.to Ben Unguren's generous interventin about Mocha.:

some.....:

http://www.videocopilot.net/presets/magic_tracking/

Pls dont go mad on me wile'm posting Video Copilon tutor.....
In bocca al Lupo.....

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Sep 29, 2011 at 3:26:41 am

[niccolo ungaro] "I'm very surprised not to read Mr. Roland R. Kahlenberg reply to your post today."

In Rick's previous thread, he was being difficult to assist. He insisted that he's seen tracking tutorials where Corner Pin data was pasted onto a Null and that was how he intended to go about with his solution. This was after it appeared to me that he wasn't reading the replies but was strictly looking for a very specific solution that as far as I know only exists in his head and isn't to be found here at the COW or anywhere else ;-).

It's difficult to assist someone when they are not receptive.

BTW, Ray, here's another tracking trick that I picked up from Mark Christiansen's Visual Effects & Compositing book.

1) Stabilize a footage that contains camera moves - similar the example you posted a while back
2) Turn it into a 3D layer
3) Add a Camera
4) Parent the camera to the 3D stabilized footage
5) Add a layer (start with a text layer) and make it 3D

You will notice that the text layer moves as if it is now a part of the scene. To create or enhance parallax, move the text layer, in 3D space.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

Ray Lee
on Oct 1, 2011 at 11:44:46 am

@Roland R. Kahlenberg: I'm sorry if my ignorance in this the subject annoyed you but I assure you I'm trying very hard to put whatever help I get to good use.

In the technique you mentioned, should I use AE's tracker or Mocha? And if I use Mocha, should I use TF or CP data?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 2, 2011 at 3:16:08 am

No worries Ray. Either Mocha or AE will do since what you need to do is to first stabilize the shot. For stabilization, transform data is what is used.

However, the Mocha route is a lot more tricky for a novice since Mocha doesn't directly stabilize a layer. Mocha provides the tracking data from which, one uses Expressions to uses the tracking data for stabilization. Perhaps this is a route you may want to explore after you are more comfortable with Mocha and Expressions.

In the meantime, AE should be sufficient.

I suggest that you set out a learning plan. Start with the basics and easier effects before progressing to more difficult ones. It's very easy to get sucked into creating complex effects without first getting a grasp of the mechanics involved.

As I suggested, Steve Wright's Mocha tutorials are great for Mocha beginners. Of course he does some wonderful stuff as well but his lessons are structured such that you get an insight into the mechanics of Mocha (planar tracking) and then he builds on that knowledge to tackle various tracking projects.

Steve has a few free Mocha tutorials on the Imagineer Systems site and has recently delivered a training programme on Mocha at the lynda.com.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

Ray Lee
on Oct 1, 2011 at 11:39:48 am

@niccolo ungaro: O_O Wow, those examples really opened my eyes to Mocha capabilities. Thank you very much for sharing!

Return to posts index

Ray Lee
on Oct 1, 2011 at 11:33:45 am

@Todd: Thanks man! I'm sure this'll come in handy!

Return to posts index

Ray Lee
on Oct 1, 2011 at 11:31:03 am

Oh no worries there! I love using Mocha and even the basic AE tracker for shots without too much rotation. Btw, I just got a trial version of PFHoe! It's a lot tougher to handle than expected I guess I just needa practise. Thanks again for the info!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]