ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Luminance change between OSX 10.5 and OSX 10.7 renders

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Johns
Luminance change between OSX 10.5 and OSX 10.7 renders
on Sep 28, 2011 at 1:41:49 am

I've created a project on my MacBook Pro running OSX 10.7.1 and AE 8.0.2.27 and rendered out using ProRes 422 LT. I opened the same project on my Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.8 and the same version of AE and rendered out using exactly the same ProRes settings between both computers. I rendered a pickup on my Mac Pro which, when inserted into the project, there's a noticeable luminance change between the rendered where the clip rendered on the Mac Pro is brighter than the original clip rendered on the MacBook Pro. Any others experiencing this? I've gone through the settings of both clips and they seem to be identical, so at a loss as to why the render output isn't matching up.

Philip Johns

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Luminance change between OSX 10.5 and OSX 10.7 renders
on Sep 28, 2011 at 3:14:41 pm

Are you using color management in AE? Do you use the same color space settings in both projects?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 28, 2011 at 3:48:10 pm

Or maybe an effect which calculates on the GPU?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:19:18 pm

Apple changed the gamma from 1.8 to 2.2 for Mac OS version 10.6 and later.

Between this and the gamma shifts in various versions of QuickTime...

[*shudder*]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Philip Johns
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:25:38 pm

Well that explains it. Not the logic behind it, but explains the reason!! I don't want to upgrade my Mac Pro to 10.7 yet as there are lot of plugins I own that don't support it. Upgrading it to 10.6 will fix it? I never purchased 10.6 so not sure how I'd go about grabbing a copy.

Color management is turned off for the project - if I turn it on will this lock the gamma?

Philip Johns

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:33:47 pm

> Color management is turned off for the project - if I turn it on will this lock the gamma?

No, not exactly. But you can simulate output on both versions of Mac OS and otherwise get more control over how colors are processed.

There's a bit of a learning curve in using the color management features, so don't expect to just flip a switch and be done. Start here. Toward the bottom of that page, there are some links to tutorials and a white paper that gives step-by-step instructions.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]