ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

soft precomps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaac Wolfram
soft precomps
on Sep 28, 2011 at 1:14:43 am

i have a precomp where all my animation takes place, the contents of the precomp are raster layers non of which scale over 100%.

the only thing i can think of that caused this very subtle blur is that I moved the precomp from it's original location and it is somehow located halfway between a pixel.

soft

sharp

does anyone have an explanation of why this happens?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: soft precomps
on Sep 28, 2011 at 3:08:10 pm

I bet 95% of the people looking at this will not be able to tell the difference. As far as to where it comes from- your guess is as good as mine. Do a test and render out an uncompressed still from within the precomp and bring that back in the precomp and render it out of your main comp and see if that gives you the same blur... However, if you will compress at all this for final playback and you will not use a full HD monitoring screen at over 100Hz refresh rate for playback, and the client will not look at every pixel with a magnifying glass, I wouldn't worry about it.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Sep 28, 2011 at 6:08:10 pm

[Isaac Wolfram] "the only thing i can think of that caused this very subtle blur is that I moved the precomp from it's original location and it is somehow located halfway between a pixel."

That's most likely what you're seeing. You could use expressions to lock the position/anchor point values to full pixel increments, but that may result in problems with animation.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Isaac Wolfram
on Sep 28, 2011 at 7:40:44 pm

i ended up using a script pt_cropPrecomps to get the exact position info for each precomp. then i just swapped them out with the new animated one, everything is sharp.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]