ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

CC Sphere acting screwy (image attached)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam BuritschCC Sphere acting screwy (image attached)
by on Sep 26, 2011 at 8:01:19 pm

I can't find this information anywhere. I'm using cc sphere in a project. The effect is applied to a .jpeg and then pre-comped. It's worked fine for multiple days but for some reason randomly today, it now is stretched out vertically.

The odd thing is, that I realized that the effect acts this way even if I make a new comp, and use a completely different image. It still defaults to this stretched version of itself, and then it's of no use to me.
I've restarted the project and my computer, I haven't tried in in another AFX project yet, but that is my next step. Unfortunatley I don't have a recent enough auto-save or I would start there.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: CC Sphere acting screwy (image attached)
by on Sep 26, 2011 at 11:51:14 pm

No image is attached, so I can't see the way it looks, but I am wondering if you work in a project with a pixel aspect ratio that will distort the image and your preview is not set to correct that... a bit more information always helps (size, frame rate, par, ...and so on).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Adam BuritschRe: CC Sphere acting screwy (image attached)
by on Sep 27, 2011 at 2:52:07 am

whoops, sorry. Forgot the last step for the image. Here it is.

The project settings are this
24 fps

Since my first post I did a few experiments. I recreated the (simple) scene in another comp on that machine- I Made a new project, new comp with the same settings, and a random .jpeg image. I applied the cc sphere, and immediately it gave the same reaction.

Then I opened my original screwy file on another computer, and it still looked the same.

Finally I opened an Auto-save from this morning on my original machine. In that project, cc sphere worked just fine! Luckily the animation hadn't changed from that point so I just rendered it out as a .jpeg sequence and used that for a work around.

Yet before I did that I wanted to test it one last time. So I exported the working precomp from the Auto-Saved project (which had only the .jpeg with the cc sphere applied to it) and opened it in my original comp where the sphere effect was acting weird. And here is the weird thing. Inside the new precomp, where the sphere effect was applied to the worked just fine! Yet, when I toggled to the parent was messed up again!

-It's not parented to anything
-has no animation or effects applied to it
-the scale is normal
-the rest of the project is just fine

It's driving me crazy!

I'll be happy to offer more details if you think their necessary. This has bewildered everybody else in my studio including my creative director...

Return to posts index

Adam BuritschSolved
by on Sep 27, 2011 at 3:03:21 pm

It was a custom preview setting. Turned it off, no longer an issue. Sorry it seemed so convoluted for such a simple fix.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved