ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Random change to a specific color

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bram Rusman
Random change to a specific color
on Sep 26, 2011 at 1:13:37 pm

I have a grid of squares (layered). Now I want to change the color of the squares randomly. But it has to be a specific color. Like in the image. So it randomly changes to blue -light blue - green - blue etc. Is there a way to do this with a expression? It would be very nice if the colors are fading to the other color.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Random change to a specific color
on Sep 26, 2011 at 2:52:02 pm

You might try asking this in the Expressions forum.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:08:17 pm

Heya Michael, I think Colorama will do the trick.

Apply Colorama onto an Adjustment Layer and create colors in the Output Cycle property that coincide with the colors that you want for your squares. The sequence that you want the colors to appear in the comp panel should start clockwise, starting from the 12 o'clock mark on the Output Cycle's circular widget.

Then animate Cycle Repetitions which denotes the number of times you want the colors to be recycled.

Should you want more control over the starting colors, you may do so with the Add Phase property within the Input Phase section. To do this, you will need to create a grayscale representation of your grid. Each grid item in the comp panel will be affected by the intensity (lightness) of the corresponding grid item of the grayscale image.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 26, 2011 at 6:28:03 pm

Nice suggestion, Roland.

I'll add that you could use a couple instances of Colorama on separate adjustment layers with masks to break up the cycling a little.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Sep 26, 2011 at 7:04:16 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I'll add that you could use a couple instances of Colorama on separate adjustment layers with masks to break up the cycling a little."

Or perhaps messing about with the Input Phase layer to create the randomness. I just saw that Dan has provided an Expression script as a solution - cool stuff!

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 26, 2011 at 7:12:44 pm

[Roland R. Kahlenberg] "I just saw that Dan has provided an Expression script as a solution - cool stuff!"

Nice! There's always more than one way.

I've approached a similar problem differently in the past.

I created a precomp that contains one square and built the color animation into it with solids and a series of dissolves. In the main comp, I arranged multiple instances of the precomp into the pattern that I wanted, then used Time Remapping (driven by an expression which incorporates the layer's index) to drive the animation.

Approaching the problem this way allows you to add specific patterns to the animation based on the layer's positions in space and stacking order in the timeline, or randomness by altering the expression or stacking order.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Bram Rusman
on Sep 26, 2011 at 9:18:29 pm

Thanks guys for giving help!
I also posted this question in the expressions forum. There I got a nice solution with a expression from Dan Ebberts. I applied this to a color overlay layer style. And it works fine!

colors = [[141,203,235,255]/255,
[187,223,243,255]/255,
[164,213,239,255]/255,
[205,219,143,255]/255];
easeTime = .2;
segDur = 2;

curSeg = Math.floor(time/segDur);
t = time%segDur;
seedRandom(curSeg,true);
idx1 = Math.floor(random(colors.length));
seedRandom(curSeg-1,true);
idx0 = Math.floor(random(colors.length));
ease(t,0,.2,colors[idx0],colors[idx1])

I'll have to try the solution you mentioned. But for now I'll use the expression. Deadlines....
Thanks a lot people!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]