ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Banding on 3d surface with AE lights

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea Marini
Banding on 3d surface with AE lights
on Sep 26, 2011 at 8:35:05 am

I'm experiencing some heavy banding on a surface (rotating 3d layer) where a light is casted. I didn't notice the banding in AE. I already found the noise solution for ramp but this is a different situation.

I am exporting in ProRes4444 + alpha (straight) into a FCP sequence set to Prores422 HQ.
I already know it's 16bit vs. 8bit, but what do you suggest?

Thanks,
Andrea

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Banding on 3d surface with AE lights
on Sep 26, 2011 at 3:13:46 pm

if increasing the bit-depth still shows banding, then you'll probably need to add an adjustment layer at the top of the comp with the noise effect, or a 50% gray 2d solid with noise and then set that layer's blending mode to soft light, overlay or something similar. then play with the amount of noise and the opacity of that layer.

essentially what you are trying to do is create dither for the subtle gradations so you won't see the banding.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Andrea Marini
on Sep 26, 2011 at 3:27:30 pm

Thanks Kevin,
could I put this noise layer only on the precomp that is affected by lights? Because the surface has some text on it, and I'd like to keep it clear.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Sep 26, 2011 at 3:50:53 pm

[Andrea Marini] "could I put this noise layer only on the precomp that is affected by lights?"

that should work, it will just be a matter of playing with the noise amount... also, i usually use monochromatic noise.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 26, 2011 at 6:43:56 pm

[Andrea Marini] "I am exporting in ProRes4444 + alpha (straight) into a FCP sequence set to Prores422 HQ. I already know it's 16bit vs. 8bit, but what do you suggest? "

Out of curiosity, if you re-import your ProRes 4444 into AE, do you see the banding there?

As an alternative to a noise layer, PHYX Cleaner has a pretty nice debanding filter, and so does GenArts Sapphire.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]