ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

2 videos into 1 problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tristan zhabalas2 videos into 1 problem
by on Sep 25, 2011 at 11:21:15 pm

So what i want to do is make 2 videos OF THE EXACT SAME BACKGROUND of me being on 2 different parts on the screen and actually talking to myself.. if that's correct. Is that possible? Like just cutting the video in half. and then putting them back together. I'm trying to do something fun for school. Do i need to do some weird super-hard stuff with chroma keys and stuff or is it simple as i said it before?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: 2 videos into 1 problem
by on Sep 26, 2011 at 6:57:41 am

If you are planning to shoot in controlled conditions - in a studio or inside your room, where light never changes and there are no people/cars moving behind you, and the camera is locked down it does not move)then it's quite easy. All you need is to shoot the two instances of the actor/you one after the other so that the camera will not move. A simple mask on the top layer should do the trick.
If you want to shoot outside, with elements moving behind and light that can change... it's a bit more complicated, but doable. Plan ahead and choose your location so that at least one of you stands in front of a large object (wall, column, van with no windows) that can be easily isolated with a mask.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Tristan zhabalasRe: 2 videos into 1 problem
by on Sep 26, 2011 at 6:14:34 pm

mhm. Thank you for your reply. Could you please find me a tutorial on how to do this?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: 2 videos into 1 problem
by on Sep 26, 2011 at 6:35:36 pm

Masking is a pretty elementary concept in After Effects specifically and compositing in general.

If you're new to After Effects, I'd recommend the following link, in which Adobe's Todd Kopriva pulls together some important introductory materials:

AE is both deep and broad, and it's very hard to jump right in without taking a little time to learn fundamental concepts first.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tristan zhabalasRe: 2 videos into 1 problem
by on Sep 27, 2011 at 10:08:00 am

thanks for the reply. I will do as you say.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved