ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RGB values

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stig olsen
RGB values
on Sep 24, 2011 at 8:15:56 pm

Hi,

Im about to shoot a commercial on a white studio backdrop.
In post I need to change the white backdrop to another color, more brown/grey-ish.
I need to change the white studio backdrop to a spesific color rgb value as described in the color profile submitted from the client.

Anyone?

Stig

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: RGB values
on Sep 24, 2011 at 10:31:41 pm

Then do not shoot on a white background, you'll have a hard time adding color- use a chroma screen - you'll have a much easier job in post!

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Sep 24, 2011 at 10:52:16 pm

Unfortunately there is not a possibility to shoot on the actual colored background.
You sure there is not possible to choose the highlighted part (white) of the image and enter the RGB-values (the eyedropper way or with numbers)?

I guess this is a common problem as the clients want the background to have a specific tint og color.

Stig

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Sep 24, 2011 at 11:05:55 pm

In order to manipulate color you need to have some- if you shoot on white there are no color values to play with. You will most likely end up doing a lot of roto work and replacing the whole background with a color plate. The subject will look pasted on the background so you will need to use a light wrap- this will help blend the subject with the background. Also, you will need to match the grain on the color background with the grain on the footage.
If you shoot on a chroma (or any color for that matter - just be aware that with other colors you will most likely have to use garbage masks on the subject when you adjust the color of the bk) you can even manipulate the spill on the subject when you adjust the color of the background and thus get a better look and feel.
I think this will be a lot more work in post than it should and more hours for you means the client should expect to pay more for your work. I think it would be cheaper to shoot in a chroma studio. If not, at least make your client aware of the higher cost for post if he/she still wants to shoot on the white background.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 25, 2011 at 3:47:13 am

[stig olsen] "You sure there is not possible to choose the highlighted part (white) of the image and enter the RGB-values (the eyedropper way or with numbers)? I guess this is a common problem as the clients want the background to have a specific tint og color."

You want to key out the background so that you can replace it. If you shoot in an all-white studio, you must use a luma key. If you shoot in a green-screen studio, you can use a chroma key.

The chroma key will be a lot easier to pull (as the difference will be greater and the tools are generally more flexible), and as Ted was suggesting, chroma spill is a lot easier to clean up than luma spill. If you can't shoot against the actual color you want, you're better off going green screen than white.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]