ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Extend studio background

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stig olsen
Extend studio background
on Sep 23, 2011 at 11:55:22 pm

Hi,

Im doing a project with an actor performing in front of a white backdrop.
Because of little space and lense-choice we had to frame in some of the actual studiowalls on both sides of the white background.

What is the best way to "extend" the white studio background?
The actor does not have hands outside the background so no need for roto.

I know I could shoot some clean background, put it on each side and feather the mask, but the feather will touch the actors hands...

Please help.

All the best, Stig

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
Re: Extend studio background
on Sep 24, 2011 at 4:04:39 am

If it's a locked-down camera, build a plate in Photoshop that covers the edges, then stick it over the original video in AE. If the camera is moving, but on a tripod, you can use the same technique but you'll need to motion-track the original footage and apply that to the background plate.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Sep 24, 2011 at 12:33:32 pm

Hi,

The problem is still the feather transition between the original footage and the plate. What is the best way to hide the transition?
I have a clean plate of the backgroud.

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Sep 24, 2011 at 2:32:31 pm

I can give more helpful advice if you post a screenshot of the two plates you're trying to combine, but in general it's a matter of building a matte that matches in color, black- and white-level luminance, and style. When I'm trying to match a background (as opposed to inserting greenscreen) I will usually take hi-resolution stills from the original footage and use them as a reference when building the background plate.

And, again, if your camera is moving, things get trickier.

Ben Unguren

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Sep 24, 2011 at 3:26:19 pm

I see what you mean but there should be no need to create a new background for this as Im planning to film the studioplate clean without the actor in the frame.
The only thing Im planning to do is shooting an actor in front of a studio backdrop but extending the white backdrop since its not wide enough.

When I then is going to mask out the unwanted parts (the both sides of the frame) with the clean backdrop on the layer behind - there will be some edge problems as almost nothing lines up 100% perfect.

Is there a way to smooth those edges (between the plates) or is the best way to use the clone stamp?
I guess I can not use the clone stamp to work on two layers, as paint only can apply on one layer at a time.

Its not show yet, two days to go.

Stig

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Sep 24, 2011 at 3:51:07 pm

I suppose I don't quite understand the problem, then.

If you're shooting the them against white, then it should blend seamlessly into a white solid behind them. Make sure to adjust the levels on your actor plate so the white background goes fully white (hopefully it was shot well enough to do that!). Then I'd do a garbage matte around the actor and put them against white. I've done this lots of times....

Again, if I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do, please post a screenshot, which will help me orient my thoughts, etc.

Ben Unguren

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Sep 24, 2011 at 4:09:44 pm

Thanx, you got me right.

The only thing is that I need to be prepared if its not 100% well lit, and I have also been facing problems earlier with matching the background plate and the original plate because of to much color difference.
This is also not going to be 100% white, more grey-ish.

Superwhite against superwhite is of course not a problem, but if there are chroma, luma and / or contrast differences I need to prepare a workflow that let me paint over the edges or something. Any suggestions on that?

Stig

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Sep 24, 2011 at 7:39:54 pm

I'd try to make the background of the footage as even as possible. The "Change Color" filter can help with subtle adjustments, for instance. I've also had success using a Levels or Curves filter as an adjustment layer, using multiple feathered masks to get the result I am hoping for.

Once you have the background as even as possible, then you create a solid that matches the background color. Really, it's fairly straightforward. If your footage is less than stellar, then your options are certainly more limited....

A second option is (as I've already said) make a plate in Photoshop that matches how the background edges are looking in the footage. Use the paint brush tool in Photoshop, with the eyedropper to match certain colors, etc.

At this point I feel like I'm more or less repeating the same thing. If the footage was supposed to have an even background, and didn't, there isn't necessarily an easy solution. Sometimes you simply have to plow through it, frame by frame, until it works. Good luck!

Ben Unguren

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]