ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Videos attached to a 3D animated Sphere.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele PoggiVideos attached to a 3D animated Sphere.
by on Sep 23, 2011 at 10:09:26 am

I'll soon have the footage of an animated 3D Sphere (closer to a Soccer ball, I've been said) with some reflections in it, that will rotate and move in 3D space.

I've been asked to comp over it videos to then finish with one in full screen making it go on, like some News Channels over the world. I still don't have the footage to work with or that I could show to you all, but I'd really love and I'd be grateful if we could start trying to think about something. A.E. works in 2.5D, and I'm unsure about how to move foward in this project. *mumble*

"Freelance Post-Producer"

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor
VFX Supervisor

Mail: snm.poggi@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Videos attached to a 3D animated Sphere.
by on Sep 23, 2011 at 12:07:34 pm

It's not entirely clear what is it that you need to achieve. From what I understand it seems that you need to comp various videos over a rotating sphere, but how exactly, I'm not sure. Is it a video texture applied directly on the ball, or a series of clips that float around the ball (flat planes)?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Videos attached to a 3D animated Sphere.
by on Sep 23, 2011 at 12:27:00 pm

Of course, in 2.5D space you won't be able to curve your surface to match the sphere. A soccer-ball is more promising, as you have specific areas where you can crop the edges of your image.

What you need is the appropriate 3D data so you can match the image to a spot on the sphere. Most 3D apps have a way to export certain pieces of 3D data to AE. You'll probably want to make a plane in the 3D app, match it to the part of the sphere where you want an image to be (using parenting, e.g.), then export that plane's 3D animation information (3D position, 3D rotation) along with the 3D camera to After Effects. You'd also want to export a matte image to crop the edges of the image -- like the hexagon edges of a soccer ball, for instance. Using all this data you can match things up in AE.

You'd need to set up one of these matching planes and image mattes for each video plane that you're going to put into the 3D render.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Videos attached to a 3D animated Sphere.
by on Sep 23, 2011 at 1:03:14 pm

If re-creating the sphere from 2D planes is an option (rather than using the pre-rendered footage), Red Giant Software's PlaneSpace [link] might be very helpful to you.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Videos attached to a 3D animated Sphere.
by on Sep 23, 2011 at 1:44:18 pm

If ben is right in his assumption of what yo're after, then you could use FreeForm or FreeForm Pro to bend the video layer in 3d space and match the move using 3d track data.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michele PoggiRe: Videos attached to a 3D animated Sphere.
by on Sep 23, 2011 at 4:29:32 pm

Thanks guys, answering to all of you, I'll now think about your hints and then wait for the Real footage that I'll have to use, this is why for now what I have to do is quite unclear. I think that using their sphere is a Must, so.. As soon as I have news I'll come here.

Thanks again. ;)

"Freelance Post-Producer"

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor
VFX Supervisor

Mail: snm.poggi@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]