ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Aspiring video editor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew MarascoAspiring video editor
by on Sep 23, 2011 at 4:04:13 am

Hi I am currently a college sophomore at a local community college in california with a few questions. I have a love and passion for film and film editing and wanna get into the professional world.

I currently own no professional video editing software. I was lucky enough to go to a school where Final Cut Pro was an option for us to use in high school. My community college does not have comparable equipment or classes worth my time for film. With all the recent criticism towards Apple and Final Cut Pro X, I am lost as to where to start. Should I buy Final Cut? Should I look at Adobe CS5 Production Premium suite? Or should I try and get Avid Media Composer? I am currently working off of a 2010 Macbook Pro.

I am also wondering about my next step of education. I have plans to transfer out of my community college in Northern California and move down to the Los Angeles area. Unfortunately, finances are a big issue for me when looking at schools. I have heard good things about CSU Long Beach. I didn't know if anybody had any suggestions of schools to look at?

Return to posts index

malcolm DeSotoRe: Aspiring video editor
by on Sep 23, 2011 at 5:17:19 am

depends on what you want to edit and what your budget is.

Don't get FCP. It's one of the least intuitive apps I've ever used and Apple is phasing it out anyway.

Premiere Pro is great if you're used to working in After Effects or work a lot with any of the Adobe products, really. Can't beat the price, especially if you're a student and can use the student discount.

Avid is, by far, the most intuitive and well organized editing application for...editing. Editing a feature? I'd go Avid. Editing commercials? I'd probably go Premiere Pro.

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Aspiring video editor
by on Sep 23, 2011 at 9:24:55 am

Going to a good expensive school may help if you have the money for it.
Going to a decent school that will not break your bank AND getting an internship in a post house where you can learn from professionals is in my opinion the way to go. Developing your skills as an editor, stealing the tricks of the trade from others, building a great demo reel- that's what makes a difference in the end. School can teach you basic stuff, but you really learn on the job. Good editing software can make your life easier, but software is just a tool that's only as good as your talent as an editor, and talent is build with long hours of practice and observation.
Hope this helps you.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Victor NguyenRe: Aspiring video editor
by on Sep 23, 2011 at 1:33:25 pm

Everybody can edit. Every compositor knows how to edit videos, so it's best if you would learn how to composite also. I got the production premium for student and love it. it's only 500 dollars and I get all the tools I need. It have after effect for compositing, premier pro for editing, audition for sound, illustrator and photoshop for visual elements, bridge for files management, adobe media encoder for encoding, and encore for dvd authoring. ( it also have flash but I don't know if you need it) it have all the tools that makes your creative dream come true.

I would not go with final cut anymore because it is a major downgrade. If you do plan on getting final cut then get final cut 7, but just know that it will never get any better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved