ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Duplicating Comps WITH Precomps?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben InslerDuplicating Comps WITH Precomps?
by on Sep 22, 2011 at 8:30:54 pm

Hey COW!

Is this possible? Is there a way to duplicate a comp along with all the precomps inside of it, to create a new editable set of comps that does not relink back to the original final comp? For example. Comp A contains Comps B and C. Can I duplicate A to create A-1, and also have AFX automatically duplicate B and C inside of A, creating B-1 and C-1 already placed in A-1 for me? This way I can make changes in B-1 and these changes will only show in A-1, not A. Right now I have to duplicate all comps and swap out every precomp. Very painful.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Duplicating Comps WITH Precomps?
by on Sep 22, 2011 at 8:34:34 pm

Sorry, it might remain painful. But perhaps not.....

The wiggle room here: there may be a script at some place like AE Enhancers that do the job for you. I've never had to use one, but it sounds reasonable that such a script might exist.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Duplicating Comps WITH Precomps?
by on Sep 22, 2011 at 8:58:23 pm

See Brennan Chapman's True Comp Duplicator script [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jason BrownRe: Duplicating Comps WITH Precomps?
by on Sep 22, 2011 at 10:14:25 pm

This is amazing! I just did a project that could have totally benefitted from this.

Thanks for sharing Walter!!! :)

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Duplicating Comps WITH Precomps?
by on Sep 23, 2011 at 12:02:08 am

Here's an old-school way to do this, probably defunct with the script Walter offered:
Make a copy of your AE project, select your comp that you want to duplicate and choose "Reduce Project" -(This deletes everything in your project except whatever is needed for that particular composition, including precomps.)
Save your reduced project.

Reopen the main project file, and import your reduced project. You can do this as many times as you need to -- with each import all the other comps will be re-imported and arranged properly.

Once you're done importing, you can choose "File-->Consolidate footage..." which will take care of any duplicated assets.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved