ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Scripting Question - Randomize/Shuffle FootageItems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Pugh
Scripting Question - Randomize/Shuffle FootageItems
on Sep 22, 2011 at 5:53:59 pm

Hi all,

I've got a comp project with several dozen footage items laid out in a grid. I would dearly love to be able to shuffle them around easily and quickly, to make a large number of different videowall type grids.

Not being the greatest scripter, I'm reading the user's selected footage into an array of FootageItems first - call it selectedFootage[]. My thinking was to copy the filepaths into a new string array and shuffle them, then loop the original arrey beginning to end, calling ReplaceWithSequence on each footageItem to replace it with it counterpart in the newly shuffled array.

I can't seem to get the full pathnames out of the original footageItems into the new array in a way that will work with ReplaceWithSequence.

Is there some cleaner, more elegant way to accomplish this that I am missing? I can post my code if you want a good laugh.

Cheers,
Steve

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
Re: Scripting Question - Randomize/Shuffle FootageItems
on Sep 22, 2011 at 7:07:29 pm

Steve
You should post this in the AE Expressions forum. I'm not a strong enough scripter to figure this out, either, though I'd like to hear what others have to say on it.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Steve Pugh
Re: Scripting Question - Randomize/Shuffle FootageItems
on Sep 22, 2011 at 7:25:26 pm

Ah, good idea (forum newb here....) Will repost, thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]